Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Planning on a small pond
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2006.05.06(Sat)15:19    Post subject: Planning on a small pond Reply with quote

OK I was wondering if you can make your own pond out of a large container and by digging a hole. Of course it needs filtration, but I was wondering if you could do this, I already made a border of it out of brick, I'll post the dimensions later. I would probobly put water lilies in, and something else, and here in california the temperature rarely goes under 62 degrees in the winter, and its usually in the 80s in the summer, so if it does work, what fish could I start with. I was planning on putting tadpoles if it works, and I'll put a fence to keep the dog out Rolling Eyes. Anyways, any help would be apriciated. Smile

Last edited by Barchef on 2006.05.06(Sat)20:23; edited 1 time in total
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.06(Sat)15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area of the base is 5135 inches. Its going to be 2ft deep so that means...123240 inches of water inside the pond. I have no idea how many gallons that is. I'll start with tadpoles, and goldfish. I just found out about pond liners, so all I want are some suggestions.
Can I keep any other type of fish with goldfish, and tadpoles? What are some good plants besides lilies for this? Oh, and since its warm here can I try tropical fish instead?
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.10(Wed)13:27    Post subject: Pond Reply with quote

There are lots more fish you can try with:

Red shiner, Notropis lutrensis (I love them, the male is blue and it's sooo pretty.

Rosy red minnow- cute little creatures.

Golden rudd- pretty fish.

Tench (Normal or gold or other)- a good fish which helps fresh water to get to the substrate.

Bitterling- Very cool fish with a very special breeding method.

You can also try...

White cloud mountain minnow, a colorful minnow which was know to survive in ice covered waters.

Weather loach, funny looking fish.

Mosquitofishes/topminnows, keeps your pond free from mosquitos.

There are a lot more kinds of fishes you can put in a pond, and of course, I cannot list them all. So these fishes are the useful/cute ones I personally like.

Hope these helps.

Ernie
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.10(Wed)13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Glendale stay pretty warm in winter? If so, there's not too many limitations on what kind of plants you can put in there - and the more plants you have, the less mechanical filtration you will need.

I actually have three tub gardens going right now with no filtration in them at all except for what's provided by the plants and occasional water changes. If you chose to go this route you have to stock your fish very lightly - but it's a nice, natural way to go. I put these together using half whiskey barrels, and lined them with the "plant-tainer" hard liners they sell at the big home improvement store. In the bottom of each one is one bag of organic compost mixed with one bag of heavy topsoil, covered by a little pea gravel.

To give you an idea of how to stock small filterless water gardens like these, here is what I have going. It has only been a couple of months, so maybe I'm in for trouble later on, but so far it has been successful:

1. Anubias, 1 tropical water lily, water sprite, riccia, elodea. 2 adult black mollies and 3 juveniles. (any additional fry will be considered feeders for my indoor fish). there is also a water-level pot inside this one which has bog plants: juncus, water iris, parrot's feather, and dwarf hairgrass.

2. 1 tropical water lily, water sprite, riccia, elodea, cabomba, hippurus. 6 to 8 zebra danios and one FFF. There is also a water-level container with dwarf hairgrass, emersed water sprite, and arrowhead.

3. lotus, water sprite, elodea, water lettuce, duckweed. 6 guppies and any fry I haven't caught yet - this is a fry factory to feed my indoor fish.
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.10(Wed)15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll put a filter in, because goldfish are messy, and I've never tried coldwater fish. I'll see if I can find some mosquito fish, mosquitos are the only concern my dad has. Also I'll put three or four goldfish, maybe comets or fantails. Theres this really sweet looking shubikin ryukin mix, I might try putting that in. Hybrids are supposedy delicate, but the temperature here is preety stable. Also I researched weather loaches, and they're just what I'm looking for. To cycle I'll use white clouds. Oh, and what happens when the tadpoles turn into frogs? Do they just go, and find somewhere to hibernate in the winter? Their presence would be appriciated. because there are a bunch of flys in my backyard, trying to get at dog poop.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.14(Sun)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well assuming that your pond is 1foot/30cm deep, it contains +-85L/22g which is way too small for goldfish. How deep is the pond?

What do you plan on using as a filter?

Yes, the frogs may leave, but if they
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.14(Sun)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....its about 3 ft deep now. I'm looking for the best type of filter that can be used for a waterfall. I assure you it isn't 22 gallons, I saw a container/already made pond that was labeled 22 gallons. The hole is way bigger! It's also deeper. Also when I looked at a diagram I saw the pump underwater, and tubing leading to the filter, which was out of the water. The pump powered the filter, which sucked water from the pond, which went in through tubing, and came back in as a flow of water.There were rocks stacked on top of each other, and the clean water fell down through there. Power lining powered the pump. Thats the mechanism of most pond filters right? Thanks for the information on the frogs too. I decided to put two fantails, and a Black moor in there, with a dojo loach, and a few tadpoles. I have read mixed information on Black moors, 50% said they do fine in ponds, 50% said they are "too fancy". A black moor would be fine, right? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first pond. By the way, I used a caculator to see how many gallons it holds (the one in the basics section) ,and it holds 806 gallons. I'm preety sure thats enough for my stocking plan. Wink
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.15(Mon)13:02    Post subject: Frogs Reply with quote

Yes, the frogs will leave but it should stay near the pond.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.21(Sun)10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm preety sure thats enough for my stocking plan. Wink

Yes, I'm quite confident it is. Laughing

Yes black moors, in my experience are fine in ponds.

Well how high will the water fall be, and could the filter be at the same height?

How DIY friendly are you?

Quote:
Power lining powered the pump. That
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.21(Sun)11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well uh, I ment that some cable powered the pump. The waterfall will simply be at the outake flow of the filter, with rocks there, and liner under it. By the way, today I filled it up with water, and put pond soil as substrate, all I need now is a pump, and filter. I'm not terribly DIY freindly, unless its not difficult to do. I've had enough work for now though, sloshing through mud isn't the easist thing to do, and neither is digging Wink .Thanks for all the help people Smile . Oh, I was wondering if I could keep ammano shrimp in the pond, they shouldn't need warm water, because japan is a northeren area, so will it be OK?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: