Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20 gallon nano-reef journal - upgrading tank?? 9/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.08(Thu)4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a coral goby and for the first few days, he wouldn't eat. So, I started squirting some brine shrimp near his head. He eventually worked out that it was food and started taking it from the pipette. Now he swims right up to it for food. Once you have your little guy accepting a few pieces of brine from the pipette, he should starting swimming for food with the rest of them.

If he still won't accept food, it could be that he's just been without food for too long. Sometimes, if fish haven't eaten for a while, they can just stop accepting food altogether. But hopefully, with a bit of persistence, you should be able to get him accepting it.

When I bought my Bristletooth Tang she was so skinny! Her stomach was really sunken, although she was accepting food, so I decided to buy her anyway. Now she's one fat little fish! So just keep trying hey - hopefully you should be able to get him accepting food this way.

Anyway, hope this helps & good luck Smile
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.14(Wed)16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still that time of year when I have very little free time at home, but here is an overdue post:

My clown goby has started actively eating, and I think he's gained a slight bit of weight. I bought my third (and final) fish yesterday, a beautiful little pygmy angel (AKA cherubfish) who is already eating and strutting around the tank. I have noticed several minor disputes between the percula clown and this new addition, but they all end after one nip with no damage visible, and for the most part the two cooexist in tolerance of each other. Is this an arrangement that I might regret later on, when the angel gets bigger/more at home?
NanoKid0722
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.15(Thu)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty good deal you got goin' on there.
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.19(Mon)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My clown goby is gaining back his weight, and I'm wicked happy about that Very Happy Very Happy
I also bought additional liverock today, along with two more interesting life forms: a peppermint shrimp and a tiny purple mushroom!! (well technically I didn't buy the shroom, it was free Razz ) The shrimp is in the tank and while it's still skiddish, it seems to be faring pretty well. The angel has taken a few swipes at it but I'm not worried, it has plenty of great hiding places if need be.
I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep the shroom alive since I don't have decent lighting yet, but since it was free and only one teeny weeny one, (about ---- in diameter) I decided to give it a shot anyways.

(It is now Monday, I wrote the top part of this Sunday night and must've forgotten about it)

Well yesterday the shroom was kinda rumply looking, but today it's spread out and almost looks like it's angled itself in the direction of the light, but maybe that's just what I want to think. Uhhh... that's all I can think of to say, and I keep saying it but I WILL have pictures soon Shocked
djchristone
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.20(Tue)4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep I noticed my shrooms do that too, angle towards the light Smile

and dude...I don't know if it was just my peppermint shrimp or something but they're evil...it killed the original skunk cleaner I had in there...at first I thought it died during molting or something so I added another one the next day and I haven't seen it since -_-
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.20(Tue)5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to the store for a skunk cleaner this afternoon, because THEY AL HAVE ICK. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! It seems that from between yesterday afternoon and late last night (the gap between me seeing them) each of the three fish developed between 8-15 ick spots.. So I'm getting a skunk cleaner today because after two hours of observation I've decided the peppermint doesn't want to help. Is there anything else that I can do to help them get better? I don't have a QC tank so I'm not using anything that comes in a bottle, but if I absolutely have to I can take them to work and use all of the hospital tanks/ medications/ attention the place has to offer. I've got to get to my history exam now, but I'll update later today. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.23(Fri)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW
My mushroom has grown so much! It's really thin though, not like the chubby ones I see only or at work.. Does this mean it's not as healthy? Like this one almost looks like paper it's so thin, and yknow how they should look kinda like little pillows?
I think the ick is almost gone, because I don't see any visible spots on the fish even though I haven't seen the cleaner shrimp in action. Oh by the way I added one cleaner shrimp the day I found the ick, and so far he's been doing very well. Haha he tries to jump and grab the Cyclop-Eeze I put in for the fish, but I purposefully haven't given him anything intended for his consumption because I want him to be eating the ick. I'm worried that I only think the ick is going away, and that it'll come back with a vengeance in a few days... that's what I've read can happen, but does it normally?
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, it's been a while

First of all I've lost my first fish, the green clown goby just couldn't handle the ick... Given that the other two fish pulled out of it just fine, I think it was because he was already weak from not eating well. Having considered replacing him, I decided to stick with just the clown and pygmy angel for the time being.
I have new corals:
-4 blue striped mushrooms
-a colony of around a dozen glove polyps
-a frag of another purple mushroom
-a frag of a hairy brown mushroom

My new lighting system comes tomorrow, I'm not sure what the brand is but it consists of two T-5 bulbs, one white and one blue, and will cost me $50 and change (wholesale). I'm really excited, because it's far overdue that I get adequate lighting. At the moment the soft corals are squeeking by but they really do need more.
I've also put in a request for a sand-sifting star, but who knows when there will be one we can order. I'm in no hurry but I'm excited about this guy too Cool Cool

Tomorrow I'll post pictures after the new lights are in!
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lights arrived a day later than expected but they're in now, and wow do they look good. IMO they're the best thing that's happened to the tank since I put water in it Laughing
To be more specific, it's a 36 watt Aqualight true actinic T-5 strip with one 18 watt white light and one 18 watt blue light. And it looks incredible. It didn't register until now how much better the rock and sand look too, and how much cleaner the glass looks under the blue light. And my pygmy angel glows it's so beautifully lit now. I could go on forever, but I'll just post pictures. I would right this second but my step sister took the camera to a party so I can't upload the pictures until later tonight Mad Mad but they will come, I'm not just saying it this time Laughing
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.24(Thu)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, I know it's been over a month... I've been gone for almost all of it and busy when I'm home, but it's high time that I've updated. So here we go:

New arrivals:
-several turbo snails
-several more blue leg hermits
-a bicolor blenny to "replace" the green clown goby
-a colony of bright green hairy mushroom polyps (numbering 13)
-a colony of blueish/purple mushrooms (numbering 17)
-a grey serpent star

Everything else is in tip top shape, although I have a few questions;

~Do clown fish need sleep? More than once or twice my dad has forgotten to turn off the lights when I'm away, and I'm wondering if it's unhealthy for the clown or other fish, or if it really matters at all.

~My clown and pygmy angel scuffle frequently now, a few times it's even ended in a torn fin (usually the clown's). I'm wondering if it's better in the long run for me to move one of them to a display tank at work... I hate to do it because I've become really attached to both of them, but if it's better for them...

~Inspired by the previous question, would it be a good idea to get an anemone for the clown to have a safe hiding spot? I would have gotten one already but given that my tank is low-light and small, I've been hesitant (although in the next few days my new lights should arrive, I'm adding an additional 36 watts [T-5 CoralLife bulbs] to the existing 36 watt T-5 CoralLife bulbs)

~Lastly, I've been searching for something other than mushrooms and button polyps to put in my (low-light) tank, and I've been wondering about Pumping Xenia and Tree Corals. I know they'd prefer higher light but my research generally says that they do fairly well in lower light too. Does anyone have any input about these?

Edit: As a side note, I've officially poured over 1K into this tank... man it's a money pit Laughing but well worth it
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: