Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20 gallon nano-reef journal - upgrading tank?? 9/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ariaanna
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.05.20(Sat)6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love firefish, myself. My buddy had 2 clownfish, a bangaii cardinal, sixline wrasse, and firefish in his reef setup, and I'd spend hours staring at the firefish (ignoring all the other interesting fish in there) Unfortunately, the firefish did go the way of jerky. Crying or Very sad

Is there any other room you could put the conure cage? We have cockatiels here, and every time they get out of the cage, they immediately try to get to a fishtank (even with their wings clipped they'll try to fly across the room to it : ( ) Maybe your conure is of a different mind, but from what I can tell, the birds think the fish tanks are their own personal swimming pools, completely with little munchies! (plants AND fish)
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.21(Sun)16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

First fish today!
Due to unfortold events (the one black clown was pretty beaten up, and the "off-color" percula's (slightly too yellow?) were only $10) I ended up with a little Percula Clown. I spent the last 40 minutes aclimating him and now he's finally in and looking dazed and unhappy. For the few minutes that he's been in he's been riding the current right at the surface and sitting down at the bottom amongst the rock, which I'm reading as a sign of stress. Is there anything I can do to ease him a bit?
I also got two turbo snails today for reinforcements in my on-going war with brown hair algae and they're going to town on it already. The current stock list is:
-~14 pounds liverock, ~2-3 pounds rubble
-3 blue leg hermits
-1 red leg hermit
-2 turbo snails
-1 porcelain crab
-1 percula clown
-a few brown button polyps
-that little white anemone

^speaking of that little anemone, it's definitely multiplying.. there are two tiny little ones right next to it, each roughly the size of the width of a piece of pencil lead.
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.21(Sun)18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's the one, although mine has less tentacles and I think I may have hacked it up just a bit when I moved the rock it was on.

I found some Aptasia's on the live rock in my display tank. I didn't really worry about them, until my Foxface swam up against one and then had her fin paralysed. She eventually died. Apparently, Aptasia's pack a pretty powerful sting for fish. (Mine were the long tentacle Aptasia though)

Anyway, after I decided they had to go, I tried to cut them off the rock. I moved it into my quarantine tank to do this - bad idea - this seems to multiply them. Which could explain why you have a few now. It seems the best way to get rid of them, is to inject them with either kalkwasser or lemon juice. Or even simpler - cut the part of live rock off that they are on.

The one in your photo is different to the one my foxface swam into - I have a few of these in my hermit crab tank. There's no fish though - and they don't multiply either - so I don't worry about them. Their tentacles don't really extend into the water column like the long-tentacle aptasia's - so I don't know whether they'd be too much of a problem. But, as I said before, if they get sliced or damaged - it can cause them to multiply.

Anyway, your tank seems to be coming along really well Smile

Good luck with it!
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.21(Sun)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does seem to have long tentacles (1 cm long), but I don't have much to compare it to. I poked it with a spatula earlier and the tentacles stuck to it so I'm probably going to remove it, even if it's not dangerous I'd rather not risk it with my fish.
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.23(Tue)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my little perc is a bit *special*, for lack of a better term.. a lot of the time when it swims it goes in a sort of up down up down pattern, kind of like it's doing the worm.. is this normal, or is this the type of fish that needs a helmet? Laughing Also, it's taken to chasing bubbles and bits of sand caught in the current and trying to eat them.. at first I took this as a sign of hunger so I fed some Cyclop-Eeze and it had fun catching the little bits of that, but after so long I'm pretty sure it's either very playful or just stoopid Cool

I'm having a monster outbreak of brown hair algae at the moment, the turbo snails are eating it but not with any efficiency... I'm thinking about investing in either a small HOB filter or a very cheap skimmer to remove the excess nutrients and stem the algae. I'm also thinking about a lettuce nudibranch because from what I've read they can do a number on hair algaes.. but part of me says that my tank is still too young for this addition.. any ideas?
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.04(Sun)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted in a while now due to exams and graduation and such, and I realized today that it's been far too long. A good amount has happened since I last updated, such as:
-I'm now running an Aquaclear 20 on the tank, so I can have three fish and keep the water column more clear of debris.
-We got a green clown goby in at work, and since I've never seen anything like him before either live or online, I snatched him right up. It's been four days and I've only seen him twice: For the first hour after I put him in, and when I rearranged the liverock this afternoon. For the rest of the time he's been hiding, and I must say it's a bit disappointing to not see him Crying or Very sad
-I'm getting to the point where I have enough rock to have a decent-looking aquascape going (finally!!), and the 'reef' is starting to come together. Although I still don't have corals...
-My red leg hermit crab is no more, I found him one day torn from his shell and missing all of his legs... I'm sure it was the other crabs, and I'm starting to understand the previously mentioned term "hermit assassins"... I did however buy 5 more today because they work wonders in the sand with the brown hair algae Wink
-I think the red slime is starting to subside, I've been breaking it up manually and letting the crabs and snails move it around and I think it's doing the trick and keeping it downtrodden.
-I'm fairly sure my next fish will be a pygmy angel, because we have one in at work and I realized that the tank will look a lot sexier ( Twisted Evil Wink ) with a pygmy angel than with a scooter blenny. I'm also not sure that I want the scooter as much anymore, their novelty is sort of wearing off now that I have regular contact with them.

>> In other news, I've started caring for other people's tanks (and getting paid for it!) and I consider this a landmark in my fish career Smile
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.04(Sun)22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think sexy would be quite the right word. Neutral Laughing
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.04(Sun)22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Whatever floats your boat. Laughing
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.05(Mon)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha when I say "sexy", I mean as in very pleasing to the eye. I've found that all of my female friends really love the tank, and although it's not my goal to have the tank for this reason I figured I might as well use it to my advantage (if this comes across as anything other than innocent, it's unintended). I decided on the pygmy angel because of its outgoing personality and because its blue color balances nicely the orange of the clown fish.
I'm in need of lighting, but I'm completely in the dark when it comes down to it. What comes highly recommended for both bulbs and fixtures?

>By the way I'm trying my hardest to post pictures, but I'm having trouble finding a camera that will work... I promise they will come though, hopefully soon Smile
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scared for my green clown goby! I actually saw him out and about (until he saw me and booked it back to one of his hiding spots) and he's deathly thin... there's a cavern where his stomach should be... I'm really scared that he won't make it. I saw his head sticking out from under a rock so I put a bit of Cyclop-Eeze in the water and I don't think he went for it, and I put a blob of Formula One next to where he was and after a minute of not touching it, he disappeared... What can I do? Is he one of those fish that will never make it because he won't take frozen/prepared foods? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: