Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20 gallon nano-reef journal - upgrading tank?? 9/19
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.30(Sun)19:34    Post subject: 20 gallon nano-reef journal - upgrading tank?? 9/19 Reply with quote

We're starting week two tomorrow, and so far my tank is doing better than I could have dreamed. So far there's only 10 pounds of livesand and 2 pounds of liverock rubble, but there's so much life that the water column is bordering on becoming a soup Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I seeded a lot of the rubble from the show tanks at work and from their refugiums, so I have amphipods, copepods, and numerous other little buggies crawling all over the place already. I've got a few teeny feather dusters that hitched a ride, along with several types of algae (one of which I can't identify- it's small and red and protrudes from the rock in little tear-drop shaped, very thin and almost see through 'leaves').
I don't have any critters that I bought on purpose Wink except for one blue-legged hermit crab, but I'm going in tomorrow to get more and additional liverock. Since I work at the store, my boss found me an amazing deal on liverock that a guy is donating to us: he's giving it to me two pounds for the price of one, and then with my employee discount on top of that it'll be roughly $2 a pound!!! I'm psyched, I'm probably going to get the remaining 18 pounds or so that I need all at once tomorrow Very Happy
My stock list at the moment goes:
~Scooter Blenny
~Twin-Spot Goby
~seven more Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs
~two Peppermint Shrimp

-Star Polyps
-Blue Mushrooms
-Hairy Mushrooms
-Button Polyps
-Glove Polyps
-one or two more Feather Dusters

All of the fish have been weened onto Formula 1, so I'll be feeding them that and supplementing it with Formula 2, Mysid Shrimp and the stock of buggies already in the tank.
I think I have most of the bases covered here, but is there anything I may have missed?

Last edited by The_Big_Sleep on 2006.09.19(Tue)16:25; edited 17 times in total
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.04.30(Sun)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing missing is patience. Cool Add fish slowly to allow the bio-filtration to keep up. Add the rock at least 2-3 weeks before any other livestock. I would skip the hermit assassins and replace them with Nassarius snails which are true detrious eaters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.01(Mon)13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, that's interesting about the crabs. At work we have four large reef show tanks, and each has dozens of crabs and they work wonderings keeping them clean. I am planning on adding snails too, but after a little while. And yeah, I'm going to wait at least a month for the fish and probably more than that, and at least two or three months for the inverts aside form the crabs. The reason I'm adding them now is because my boss, who's a whiz at setting up reefs, told me to add a bunch to keep the liverock clean and free of crud.
I'm either going for the rock today or tomorrow, probably today, and I'm so excited... I looked it over yesterday and it's perfect; absolutely covered in interesting life, from algaes to a small anemone to what I think are barnacles. It's good sized to, ranging from tennis ball sized to softball sized - perfect for my nano system Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
If I go today, I'll post later when I've gotten it in and inspected it more thoroughly Smile
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.01(Mon)17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, I couldn't get to the store for the liverock this afternoon... although I'm definitely going tomorrow, so it's all good. I've altered the stock list just a bit, add two Lettuce Nudibranchs to it. We got in a shipment of them a few days ago and I fell in love with them, and after some research I think I'm going to invest in a few when the time is right. Does anyone have any helpful input on them that they'd care to share? Thanks Very Happy
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.02(Tue)20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the day of days, I can't believe my good luck Laughing Laughing
I ended up buying about 10.5 pounds of liverock, and a second blue leg hermit. Some of the pieces are meteocre at best, but two of them are the most ecologically diverse things I've ever seen... One has several button polyps on it in addition to coralines of every color and green fuzzy algae (that the hermits are feasting on) and more of that red tear-dropped shaped algae stuff, and other things I can't identify yet. There's one piece in particular though that's the best looking piece I've ever seen, legit, even better than when you Google search "great liverock". I kid you not on this one. As soon as I can coerce my sister into letting me use her digital camera, I'll post pictures Cool
I also got about a pound and a half more rubble and gravel from the bottom of the liverock tank, which is spilling more copepods and amphipods left and right. I'm going to give it another three weeks before I add the first fish, which is gonna be a twin-spot goby. After that, another few weeks, then the scooter blenny. If funds allow it, a few weeks after that I'll do the first few corals Very Happy

On a different note, the general setup so far is far from the "ordinary" rock wall, because since I picked pieces based on bio-diversity instead of shape they're really awkward to stack. So, I'm going with the flatter and more spread out arrangement which my research tells me is actually more accurate in terms of simulating the environment where the majority of soft corals grow (did anyone else read that in one of the recent AFM's?).
What could be a much longer story short, I'm happier than my grazing hermits - and soon to come is the nice light system Very Happy
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.03(Wed)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirreal63 wrote:
I would skip the hermit assassins
LOL. These guys grow fast and def. do damage to a reef tank... never heard them called little assassins though...

Big sleep, it's a wonderful world we live in isn't it. You get to bring these rocks into your home and the life literally pours out of them.

Just wait for the bizarre things to start showing up.. the one that made me jump back was a giant tongue coming out from under a rock...
someone guess clam?

LOL

Keep posting the updates!
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.03(Wed)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that number6, it makes my life to have a little ecosystem right in front of me..
So far the only weird/potentially alarming organism I've found was one of those pink spiky bristleworms, and I put it in a cup because honestly I don't know if it's the hazardous type. It was, so I flushed it Wink
So, hermits damage corals? That's a completely foreign concept to me, because again we have them both coexist in total harmony at work Confused Is it one of those relationships where they're harmless if they're kept well fed on other things? So far my tiny button polyps have been untouched, although it's hard to tell whether the crabs have found them or not. I don't have "proper" lighting yet, but I've rigged up something with an old basking lamp (a hand-me-down from the turtles), and a flourescent bulb that I found in my dad's tool box. The bulb didn't have a box so I have no information about it, but I assumed that if nothing else it wouldn't hurt anything. I'm going to bring down one of my tiny plant lights from my mom's house this weekend, which has flourescent bulbs for growing FW plants and I'm assuming should do the job in terms of keeping liverock cooking.

So if the hermits are potential victimizers, should I switch to snails instead? What cleaning purposes would a nudibranch serve? For the time being I'm going to keep the hermits because I need something to keep the liverock clean and the sand moving.
As a side note - Would it be beneficial to rig up some sort of plastic netting that seperates off a a portion of the tank on the back side, to serve as a sort of refugium? Or is that just not worth the trouble?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.03(Wed)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy my little blue legged hermit crabs and would not get rid of them. They are little cannonballs as the race around. My GSP has has to fully retreat more than a few times when one of these kamikaze lunatics lands smack in the middle of it... Rolling Eyes

I would not purcase any of the more fragile corals while these guys are in my tank... I'll stick to the tougher nail proof corals like GSP and kenyi trees.
djchristone
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.03(Wed)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

hum hum never mind

Last edited by djchristone on 2006.05.04(Thu)22:54; edited 2 times in total
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.05.03(Wed)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Big_Sleep wrote:

So far the only weird/potentially alarming organism I've found was one of those pink spiky bristleworms, and I put it in a cup because honestly I don't know if it's the hazardous type. It was, so I flushed it Wink (Bristleworms are your friend, they eat detrious and leftover food in the tank. I intentionally keep a healthy supply of them.)

So, hermits damage corals? (not normally)

Would it be beneficial to rig up some sort of plastic netting that seperates off a a portion of the tank on the back side, to serve as a sort of refugium? Or is that just not worth the trouble? (not worth the trouble, you have nothing eating the pods, let them grow, they are also your friends.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: