Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20 gallon nano-reef journal - upgrading tank?? 9/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.04(Thu)15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirreal63 wrote:
The_Big_Sleep wrote:

Would it be beneficial to rig up some sort of plastic netting that seperates off a a portion of the tank on the back side, to serve as a sort of refugium? Or is that just not worth the trouble? (not worth the trouble, you have nothing eating the pods, let them grow, they are also your friends.)

Well, it is my overall plan to put a scooter blenny in this tank, so would it be worth it then? If I can, I want to get a large, healthy population of pods going and I'd like to maintain it after the scooter is added.

Report:
Everything appears ship shape thus far Smile . I'm going to do a water change tonight with what little salt I have on hand still. Also, is it at all harmful if there's a slight temperature drop during the night time hours? I live in an old house and it's not very well insulated so all of my tanks suffer a slight temp drop when it gets cold outside. I've read in some places that this can be beneficial in a way because it better simulates a natural environment? The drop isn't drastic, and it's over the course of some time, as is the swing back up... is that something I should be worried about?
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.04(Thu)20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a minor rearrange of some of the smaller bits of LR, and lo and behold I found a teeny little anemone on the bottom of one! (I think it's an anemone) It's about dime sized, clear, with roughly ten or twelve tentacles and white dots at the end of each tentacle. Is this one of the pest anemones that I've read about? Should I get rid of it? Or is it something cool that I got by chance and should keep alive and well?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.05.04(Thu)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it look like this?

If so it is considered a pest by some but I leave mine alone. It has not multiplied and I do feed it a tiny pc of silverside each week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.07(Sun)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one, although mine has less tentacles and I think I may have hacked it up just a bit when I moved the rock it was on Shocked Well, I'm gonna keep it alive as well as I can and hope it doesn't pull any crap!

I bought two more hermit crabs today, a red leg and a white one that I think might be an albino blue leg. But I'm not sure. My boss found this cool anemone on a piece of liverock we got in the last shipment, and he said I'm welcome to it if I want it and he'll keep it around for me until then. It's brown, roughly an inch and a half in width, with thick tentacles about an inch long that are fat and come to an aprupt pointed end. Neither my boss nor I have been able to identify it, but so far it seems docile and in a few weeks I'm probably going to end up taking it home.

Also, what are the odds of successfully keeping a porcelain crab with soft corals? My sources tell me that they're much more interested in micro-organisms in the water, but those big claws scare me Confused
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.09(Tue)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little porcelain crab today! So far he's remained half hidden under the corner bit of a rock, and hasn't changed his position at all for the past three and a half hours, but he looks like he's *relaxed* a bit, because the large claws are less drawn in and they seem to be ticking a bit (almost like an involuntary muscle tick... is this normal for crabs?). I bought a package of Cyclop-Eeze, which I am about to put a little bit of in to see if he goes for it...

(I leave for about twenty minutes, having pulled an ADD and then forgotten that I had this half-written.. now I come back)

Well, I got impatient with my little crab and before putting the Cyclop-Eeze in I took a pencil and with the eraser end chased him a bit out of his hiding place. He moved, stayed stationary for a minute, then hopped onto the liverock above him in an upside-down position. I put the Cyclop-Eeze in, and I can't tell if he's going for it but he is filtering a bit (not the fully extended filter membrane things, like I saw him do at the store, but extending them about halfway and then returning them to his mouth and leaving them there for a minute or so). Also, I think I put a tad too much Cyclop-Eeze in, should I leave it be and let the crabs and other things take care of it over the next few days or should I try to siphon some out?
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.15(Mon)15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've updated, which is because nothing that new has happened until today. My porcelain crab molted last night!!!!! I'm so psyched, because this tells me I'm doing something right Laughing Laughing
Also, since I've started feeding Cyclop-Eeze I've noticed a bloom in this orangy-brown algae that's on top of all the liverock and on brighter patches of the sand. I might be being naive, but I'm taking this as a good sign too because it means that my bootleg lighting system (a 60W compact flourescent in an old basking lamp Cool ) is working at least somewhat. I do plan on investing in proper lighting as soon as I reach the point where I'll be adding corals.

Right now I have a major dilema: Once again, I can't figure out which fish I want Evil or Very Mad !
I know that I'm only doing two fish maximum, and I've narrowed it down to four possible cantidates:
~Scooter Blenny
~Twin-Spot Goby
------------------
~Black Percula Clown
~Purple Firefish

They're seperated because I'm going to be choosing one from each group, one that's less colorful but still entertaining, and one that'll be a centerpiece. If anyone has anything to say about any of these four, please let it be said because I need something to swing my decision one way or another. Thanks! (and please do respond Smile )
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.05.15(Mon)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a pair of black clowns, they are entertaining and beautiful. Many consider clowns passe` but I will always have them in my tanks, they are just a joy to watch. They will also mate up then the fun really begins.

Firefish are jumpers so be ready to deal with fish jerky on the floor some morning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.15(Mon)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blech, what a mental picture... "fish jerky" Laughing
I've read about jumpers and just to be on the safe side I'm planning on getting one of those metal screen reptile lids to fit snuggly over the tank.
Another thing that just crossed my mind, it's kind of random: I'm going to be hanging a Jenday Conure cage from the ceiling of my room, so chances are that projectile seeds, etc. will be flying towards the tank at some point.. Even if the tank is well covered and I'm around to fish out anything that does make it in, could that be potentially hazardous?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.05.15(Mon)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The potential is there, anything that is introduced to the system has the opportunity for trouble.
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.19(Fri)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odds are that I'm going to get the first fish on Sunday, but I still haven't made any solid decisions yet... I'm thinking one black perc and not a pair because I still really want a scooter blenny and I won't let myself put more than two fish in a 20G setup because I'm not planning on using a skimmer if I can avoid the cost. Possibly a small HOB filter though, depending. The black percs are $49.99, minus my employee 25%. Is this worth it? The firefish and scooter blennies are only $15 (each, after discount), and the twin-spot goby's only $30 (after discount) so I'm still considering the more cost-effective guys.. I do like the look of the black percs a lot though Confused
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: