Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Converting 55 gal to salt and stocking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
eazy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a Coralife 125 and I like its peformance. I am taking between 1 and 2 collection cups of skimmate off per week. One drawback to using it in the H.O.B. configuration is that there is a very real risk of flooding your floor if the collection cup overflows (can happen if you adjust it wrong). I couldn't think of a bulletproof way to avoid this so I disconnected it till I could set it in a sump. Also, the pump for the C.L. skimmer looks pretty bulky in the display when used H.O.B.

So does the coralife skimmer suck in and return the water directly from the tank? Or inside the HOB filter? [if you don't have a sump]

Also, what if I got a refugium that hangs on the back of the aquarium like this... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12591&N=2004+113080 and put a DSB and possibly my heater in it? Are the protein skimmer and powerhead in this refugium good?

Or would I be better off to get something like this... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3618&N=2004+113080 and buy a protein skimmer for it, like a coralife for example?

By the way the tank is going to have live rock in it and probably a powerhead.
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of filter do you have? It is a waste of money to buy those refugiums that you showed. Just get a tank or plastic tub. You'll get more bang for less buck.
eazy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.19(Mon)8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCS,

I have a Whisper 60 power filter.

Quote:
Drilling the display tank ($20 at my LFS)
Bulkhead fitting ($20)
Return pump ($80 - $120 for your size of tank)

The rest can be pretty cheap (used 20G. tank or other container, PVC pipe).

And after looking at what dale said, I'd be spending around 200 bucks before getting a protein skimmer, so it doesn't seem cheaper to do it myself.

My question is, do I need a bulkhead fitting?
Do I have to drill my display tank?
What brings the water into the sump?
And what exactly is used for the return pump?

Basically, I don't really care how good it looks. I wouldnt mind having 2 pvc pipes coming over the back edge of my tank into the water if it meant I didn't have to drill my tank.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.19(Mon)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCS,

Once again, please qualify your remarks. Why do you think those products are a waste of money and how did you arrive at that opinion. Try to understand; just saying something, isn't that helpful. Describing why, and from what perspective, is. Believe in yourself and have the confidence to post from your own experience. Your remarks can be valuable, but only when they are delivered in the proper context.

Easy,

First, I would point you to this thread detailing the building of a display and sump (Link at bottom of post). The set up may not be what you are considering but many points are the same. It should answer some of your basic questions re. sump functions.

I personally like those HOB refugiums. I would not use it for a DSB though, rather fill the chamber with macroalgae like Chaetomorpha or Halymenia (dragons tongue). I think you would get better nitrate control that way. I wish I could remark on the quality of the skimmer but I have no experience there (perhaps someone who has one will chip in or perhaps do a google specific to that model). Using a set up like that (the skimmer model) would eliminate the need for a sump. In that refugium I would use a fully submersible heater and lay it horizontally across the bottom.

Yes you need a bulkhead if you drill. It is a plastic coupling that allows you to run PVC through the glass wall.

No you don't need to drill your tank. You can use an overflow/syphon box instead (google it to see what one looks like). However, a good one will probably cost as much, or more, than drilling and they pose the risk of sometimes losing the syphon effect (I'm sure there is a thread about them on the board somewhere).

For those other two Q's refer to the link below.

Sorry, you can't just run two PVC pipes over the tank and into a sump. If you could, everybody would have one.

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=29175

Hope this helps,
Good luck.
eazy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.30(Fri)8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to have 1 protein skimmer attached to 2 tanks? (like my 29 gallon and 55 gallon) w/o using a sump
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.30(Fri)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an easy way and not a safe way. Even a common sump between two tanks carries risks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.30(Fri)16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack is right.

In theory one could imagine running a drain line from each tank to a tee, then one line to the skimmer. After the skimmer the return line could be tee'd again with a return going to each tank
but...
One could never calibrate the amount drained with the amount returned to each tank and this would result in either the draining, or flooding, of each tank.

It sounds like you are concerned about the cost of drilling but it is one of the cheaper things you will do in S.W. and a sump opens up a lot of positive possibilities. You could get away with drilling one hole for the display drain and rigging the returnline over the top in the same way as a cannister returnline.

Here's a link to a tank/sump combo I just set up for someone. It was simple and cost about $100 to do (sump tank, bulkheads, PVC pipes tubes and fittings [not including skimmer and pump] ).
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=35104
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: