Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Converting 55 gal to salt and stocking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
eazy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.17(Sat)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

In-tank Refugium...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3621&N=2004+113080

Refugiums (not in-tank) seem expensive. Are there any cheaper solutions? Maybe put in a divider with drilled holes making a small section with a 5 inch deep sand bed (and powerhead)?
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.17(Sat)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

A out-of-tank refugium can be as simple as a Rubbermaid tub. Since you are using a 55g, you are probably using a canister filter or some other filter that rests in the stand. You should buy a sump. A sump is a container that holds your protein skimmer and other equipment. A sump may also contain a refugium. You should buy a container for a sump and buy a container for a refugium. You can run the water from the filter into the sump and from the sump into the refugium and from the refugium into the main tank. Or, you can buy a big sump which will contain a refugium. This will need at least one divider though. Here's a guy that designs sumps: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CCS,

What type of S.W. tank do you have set up and how long has it been running? How about some pic's of your tank and sump. Some photos showing how you've maintained your tank would be helpful.
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually haven't setup my tank yet. I have my tank and stand, but haven't gotten most of the equipment. I'll order it in August when I sell my heifer at the fair. However, I can start ordering my sump materials soon. Oh, BTW, my sump plan is the Plan F on Melev's Reef. You have water intake in the refugium and the equipment section with a return chamber in the middle.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCS wrote:
I'll order it in August when I sell my heifer at the fair.

Shocked Laughing Shocked Laughing
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I know a lot more than many people with tanks. Wink I have spent hundreds of hours researching online.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCS,

I won't comment on your theoretical grasp of S.W. fishkeeping but I think it is important to indicate that it is theoretical when offering imput to certain threads. Many people post questions here seeking answers based on actual fishkeeping experience as there is often a difference between the two types of knowledge. (as in the case of making sumps with baffles out of rubbermaid tubs and what type of test kits work best).
I think there are plenty of opportunities to be helpful at every stage of the fishkeeping spectrum, from newcomers to old salt, and everyones imput is welcome, but we should qualify our responses so that others know from what perspective we are answering. This is very helpful for everyone.
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

There. I changed my sig. This will save me a lot of typing. Also, I meant that you can make a Rubbermaid refugium or a tank with baffles. Also, a refugium doesn't need baffles, only sumps with a refugium in them do. Also, I said that Hagen test kits are good because I own one(I mentioned that on that thread). My dad has two poorly maintained FW tanks and a betta barracks.
eazy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like the idea of a sump/refugium but it seems too expensive even if I were to build one.

Is the 65 gallon 'Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer' a good choice for my 55 gallon? And is there anyway you can get a bigger skimmer to work on 2 tanks at the same time? (my 29 gallon and 55 gallon)

Would a whisper 60 HOB, protein skimmer, and a powerhead or two be enough for my 55 gallon?

And would the eel, puffer, lion combo work?
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.18(Sun)20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi easy,

I have a Coralife 125 and I like its peformance. I am taking between 1 and 2 collection cups of skimmate off per week. One drawback to using it in the H.O.B. configuration is that there is a very real risk of flooding your floor if the collection cup overflows (can happen if you adjust it wrong). I couldn't think of a bulletproof way to avoid this so I disconnected it till I could set it in a sump. Also, the pump for the C.L. skimmer looks pretty bulky in the display when used H.O.B.
The main costs to set up a sump are:

Drilling the display tank ($20 at my LFS)
Bulkhead fitting ($20)
Return pump ($80 - $120 for your size of tank)

The rest can be pretty cheap (used 20G. tank or other container, PVC pipe).

If you want to skimp, you only have to drill one hole for your display overflow, the returnline can be configured like the returnline from a cannister filter.

You pretty well need a sump to service 2 tanks and, if you crunch the numbers for duplicated equipment, you will find that a sump is the cheaper route. If you intend to do that consider buying a 125 as the 65 will be under rated for both systems.

If you have L.R. you could get away with just a skimmer and enough powerheads to create the right flow for your livestock choices but a simple to clean filter is nice for trapping out larger bits of detritus. Remember you are not using it for biological filtration.

Hope this helps,
Good luck.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: