Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tropical ponds, large wanted.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.23(Sun)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to break it, but by my calculations this is a real big pond that will cost quite a bit to construct, never mind the cost of basic filtration.

What filtration is planed to be installed? I'm thinking at least a three bag sand filter along with bio chamber.

The temp is OK for tropicals, but fine for plecos and catfish.
Ganoderma
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.07(Sun)6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloudy hell! earthquake craked the left side pretty good, so another set back. stocking may take a while longer.

As for filters, honestly the concrete has been pretty stressfull for them and always cause delays so they havn't really given it too much thought yet aside from makign an area to put it. kinda lame way of doing it but oh well. He mentioned sand, but didn't discuss much. He did talk about having a large rubbermaid type thing for foam to weed out the bulk, but I'm not sure after that.

the bio filter we were thinking could be covered in the waterfall as it will go through many rocks and get soem really good aeration. is that a possible thing?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.07(Sun)10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I advocate concrete ponds, but building one in an area that can be/is, struck by an earthquake...that
Ganoderma
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.11(Thu)6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent thanks. once its fixed we will cover it...the reason it crakced is it was still drying. the concrete was 3 days old and still not completely hard. bad luck I guess.

I guess sand is out. But UV sounds tempting. I have done germicidal lamps for mushroom rooms before, I assume its the same sort of deal? it would be a compartment unit, that I can tell you.

Lava rock will be used in the waterfall for sure. I don't wan tit to be jsut a "fall" but a small stream/fall. his decision though.

this have been postponed due to money...were not expecting this crack, but such is life.

a drain woudl be OK, but not the easiest/cheapest way of doing things here. I agree though, a very good idea. we will probably do this, that will need to wait too as we will need to pipe it to the ditch.

he is pretty dyt, we are both in construction. so its all do-able even if we take a while to understand Twisted Evil

thansk for the suggestions!
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.03(Sat)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

Good luck for now mate Wink
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.04(Sun)11:23    Post subject: Pond Reply with quote

Oscer wrote:
Well in a pond that size koi, salmon or trout, or even bass could be an option. It depends; if you want something deferent then a pond full of trout as apposed to koi could be quite something.

There are no salmon in Taiwan, and unless you can keep the water temperature low, it's not a good idea to keep trout. You can keep some cichlids in there. But keep in mind in winter times temperatures can drop as low as 4 degreese Celcius. Or, if you want, have a natural pond with gobies and bitterlings like I have told you before.

Good luck with the pond! Very Happy

Ernie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are no salmon in Taiwan, and unless you can keep the water temperature low, it's not a good idea to keep trout.

No salmon...kind of sad IMO. Well considering your size pond, the fact that it's concrete and more importantly the depth I would think that Trout shouldn
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)15:51    Post subject: Pond Reply with quote

The temperature isn't wrong. I was born in Taiwan and experienced those temperatures. In winter times, temperatures do drop to 4 degreese Celsius, although not often.

Note for Oscar: I'm a "he" not a "she"! Mr. Green

Ernie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.08(Thu)14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

My deepest apologies, Ernie Sad

I do trust your thermometer reading skills, but then earlier Ganoderma said:
Quote:
teh temp will almost never reach below 10c.....and that will never be too common. for the most part throughout winter the days are in the mid 20's and nights are 15+. summer is just sickingly hot.

But any way, I have given advice and made statements according to what was given to me.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: