Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tropical ponds, large wanted.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ganoderma
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)5:03    Post subject: Tropical ponds, large wanted. Reply with quote

a friend of the family here is building a large pond, no idea on gallons but its a good 30fft, by 13, by 3 deep. has plants, rocks, waterfall etc. or will I should say. they are looking for 3 main things. big and pretty and low maintenance.

also cleaning, we are thinking plecos, but would like somthing bigger than teh 20" ones that are so common. we saw soem sharks/catfish one time in a pond that were a good 3 feet, dull gray all over.

anyway we are having a hard time finding big fish that are pretty (other than carp). any ideas?

its concrete pond.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.18(Tue)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in a pond that size koi, salmon or trout, or even bass could be an option. It depends; if you want something deferent then a pond full of trout as apposed to koi could be quite something.
Ganoderma
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.19(Wed)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm options yes. we are lookign more for more "unique" fish. catfish, sharks along those lines.

thigns that are not usually put in ponds but that would do good. maybe rays? w havnt even searched rays yet but it was mentioned... we really liek teh idea of having not so common pond fish, more aquarium style.

again without any research I'm jsut mentioning. we discussed arowanas as well, but I doubt there is enough water movement/change.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.19(Wed)13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the options are endless, if you can retain the temp, or provide heating.

It sounds as thou you what something realy impressive. After reading your post I started to think of something, which to my knowledge is rarely
Ganoderma
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.20(Thu)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a very interesting idea but we are a good solid 1.5-2 hours away. the water quality her ein the oceans is not what I would call useable Confused I have been thinking lately more and more about rays.....they seem rather interesting but from what LFS's tell em they eat otehr fish. so I would need a prolific breeder in there to avoid bringing in crappy quality feeders. Staying on that train of thought I was thinking some bigger catfish, arowanas and rays with some VERy bunny like fish for food.

filtration is the thing that worries me. we won't have tons of it.... it would be filtered right before it goes to the water fall. I was thinking that the size of the pond and the amount of fish (not many) along with lots of live plants could compensate for this. Still much reading to do on species as I have not clue about arowanas or rays. they are jsut some cool looking options. And possibly make a bit of coin from the.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.20(Thu)9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

What filtration does the pond have currently, what is the height of waterfall, turn over rate and what temp range does the pond fall in?

A red tailed catfish could be an option...
Ganoderma
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.21(Fri)4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

its still in the very early stages of being built.....filter is not decided yet. the waterfall will probably be about 3 feet mayeb a tad larger.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.21(Fri)7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so it's under construction. Well, what filtration options are you considering?

Your pond is realy huge; aeration and filtration must be of go standard if you intend to keep rays and/or arowanas. Now this may prove difficult, but I think with a bit of help from my side/this forum, you could do it.
Bobz
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.22(Sat)15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what sort of temperature will be maintained in the pond year round?

I was just curious, it may help with the fish choice.

Bobz Very Happy
Ganoderma
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.23(Sun)9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don't want to spend tons of money on adding air/water cirulation so maybe rays/arowanas will be skipped.

teh temp will almost never reach below 10c.....and that will never be too common. for the most part throughout winter the days are in the mid 20's and nights are 15+. summer is just sickingly hot.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: