Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
1500 Gallon Pond Stocking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah they do eat earth worms that I remember, I always used to fish them with worms lol, tehyw ould look very pretty in a pond though,aand since you do live in British Columbia right? well thn I am sure around there in lakes you will find some, make sure you get clean specimens that do not have black spot disease.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. One more thing, what depth do you usually catch them at? Are they close to the shore, or out far into th lake?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that depends on how big the fish are and if they are in spawning conditions or not. Usually small fish and spawning adults will go to the shore of a length of only half a meter! you can even cath them with a net. But sometimes you will see more larger fish at about two to three meters deep but not necessarliy does that have to be a big problem. They don't grow that big either, they are tall and quite "flat" only measuring of an average 10-15 cm. They are sometimes red at the bottom or iridescent green all over and their doral fins have spiny fin rays that can puncture quite easily. They are not taht far into the lake, right at the shore they can be looked at. They would be a good fish to have.
Ganoderma
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

what he said.

we always catch them on the small docks. teh water depth ranges from about 2'-10'. they are at all teh shallow depths there. we have caught them many times jsut using string hook and a peice of elastic band on teh hook.

I'm not sure where they are on the island as I'm pretty sure they were introduced. elk lake being so accesible by anyone and being right by the highway that the ferry goes to has pretty good access. all sorts of introductions there. just be carefull to NOT get any plants from there. they have a nasty millfoil infestation and another plant pest.

perhaps try nanaimo lakes, they are popular. but kind of far out of the way, not sure if they would be introduced there.

like he said above, stay around the shore, I caught mine mostly by plants and rock banks when not on the docks. didn't see them by sand, but thats where peopel swim....
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually its not sandy shores sorry hehe, its kind of a mixture of dirt and mudd with very small gravel, and thanks for the support, Wink
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in this large of a pond without adequate turnover and oxygen content many sportfish will not thrive. Most of the fish listed so far are found in Eutrophic(new) or Mesotrophic(middle aged) lakes. Carps, such as goldfish and koi can live right into the ogliotrophic stages of waterbody where the lower oxygen and less than ideal water conditions dominate. What I'm saying here is that if you want to go with native specimens outside of the carps be prepared to walk the whole mile in terms of water quality, equipment and diet.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll just do Koi, just to save the trouble. I am still interested in these sunfish and once I have learned the ropes with this pond stuff, I may sell the koi and get some. I just won't get too far ahead of myself quite yet. Smile
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.18(Tue)5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koi should have at least 1000 gallons minimum, and I'm guessing you would need a 3.5-4 foot deep pond. Plus, my koi are active so you will need it long and wide, your looking at something bigger than 1000 Very Happy . Sunfish from what I have been told are aggresive to koi and goldfish and eat their fry.

Plus, I always think that koi and goldfish are more enjoyable in a pond then an aquarium becuase they are best viewed from the top. Sunfish on the other hand, would look much better from a side view versus and top view.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.18(Tue)14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general feeling is that koi should have (as stated) at least 1000gallons each. But the majority of koi keepers/breeders I know house up to 3-5 koi in 1000gallons, and yet those koi still attained 2.5-3 feet.

Quote:
Plus, I always think that koi and goldfish are more enjoyable in a pond then an aquarium becuase they are best viewed from the top. Sunfish on the other hand, would look much better from a side view versus and top view.

I totally agree

On my grand parents farm in one of the reservoirs is a sunfish of about 13-15cm. It's only feed now and then on bread dead locusts and dead crickets and it's lived so far for about 4-5 years. The reason I think this fish has done so well with little to no help, is due to the weekly 50-40% "water-change". The fish is house in an irrigation reservoir, so new water is continually introduced (no filter). The circumstances depicted can not be recreated in a pound unless coupled with great expense, one of the reasons I haven
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.21(Fri)20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good if you could get some references on the type of water quality that sunfush need, although they need ponds, its not necessary when they are kept in short numbers. If you only house one in a small 15 to 20 gallon tank the fish will be able to live and grow . They are sometimes kept in aquaria but are not tat popular and not as colourfull as everybody said before. Just go with koi, sunfish are really not that pretty when compared to koi, and they will look very dark when viewed from above, plus they are more wild, and they are not reall native specimens..they are still kept in aquariums but are not popular at all...they are only kept in show tanks for science or interactive history buildings for display. I kept one in an aquarium but in a pond you would defenitely need good filtration...so just go with koi, I really admire them now that I saw Marcos's picture of his koi in the photo contest.wow, they are amazing..
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: