Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Re-sealing a 55 gallon tank
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.10(Mon)20:34    Post subject: Re-sealing a 55 gallon tank Reply with quote

My 55 gallon community tank started leaking the other day, and I'm not exactly sure where, other than that its on the bottom edge somewhere, but it was a rather bad leak. I took everything out and drained it and it's completely dry now and obviously I am going to have to repair the leak. I bought some sealant from Pet Supplies Plus.. 2 tubes of it to be exact, but I've never done this before.

Do I need to remove all of the old sealant before I apply new? I know the package says to remove it with a razor if possible, but I wanted to check and see if people think it has to be done or if it works well to leave the old still on the tank. Any tips would be appreciated!
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.10(Mon)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never use aquarium sealin products but I knwo with "land" product it is always a good idea to strip off the old stuff first.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.10(Mon)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just gave it a shot. I stripped the outside of the aquarium of all the old seal, as it appeared to be the big problem, and applied all new to the bottom edges/corners. Tomorrow around this time I'll be able to put some water in it and test it and then hopefully move my fish back in. I had 1 die on me today, kinda sad.
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the tank filled back up and the fish back in. A rather bad disaster that was completely unexpected though. I lost 4 fish in the process because I was having trouble finding a place to keep them while I was fixing the tank. Thankfully it looks like the others are doing well and are gonna make it. Definitely a learning experience.
nibbles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably the one thing I dread the most... fish tank leaking/breaking or anything like that.

Re-sealing the tank would be stressful too I imagine..

Hopefully ya fixed it well enough so you won't have that problem again!

Too bad about losing fish, hasn't been a good week for me either.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: