Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Beyond a joke?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angry Andy wrote:
I recently found this equally appalling.

It's actually an interesting idea, it's just far too small. If I ever build a house I would want a large aquarium built into the wall.

Liszie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but there is a difference of haveing a tank built into the wall (which I would LOVE) and a "flat screen" wannabe tank thats it so small I don't see how the fish can even turn around.
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting how big they make it seem. When I first saw it, I was like, whoa, that's pretty big. Then I read it... It's sad that you practically have to look in the fine print to find out that it only holds a gallon of water!
I guess something hanging could only be so big, though. Water's pretty heavy.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... I'll have to keep an eye out for the "plasma" fish tank if it goes for that price...

3 inches deep is thin thin thin... but there are plenty of fish that will not care one bit...

I can think of a very long list of 1 inch fish that would thrive in this tank from peacock gudgeon to guppies... just up the water volume with an overflow and 10g sump tank underneath...

products are just products... it is what they are promoted as or what consumers do with them that is the problem... nobody makes you use stuff improperly... complaining about a weird tank is like complaining you got hurt by a hammer when it hit your finger... yeah... the hammer hurt you...

Laughing

come on guys... just because the box might show huge fish in it doesn't mean you should do that!!!! I've bought many a tank that had pictures in the literature or on the box with fish that will outgrow the tank in mere months!
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
come on guys... just because the box might show huge fish in it doesn't mean you should do that!!!! I've bought many a tank that had pictures in the literature or on the box with fish that will outgrow the tank in mere months!

6, I seriously doubt that anyone on this site would A) buy one or B) listen to the pictures on the box for stocking ideas. But then again, the people who are stupid enough to buy it probably would be stupid enought to use the pictures as a stocking guide.
And you are right, the problem isn't the product. The problem is the people who make the product. And to compare a tank with will spell certain doom for the majority of fish to a person who hits themself with a hammer just doesn't work.[/list]
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiffy wrote:
But then again, the people who are stupid enough to buy it probably would be stupid enought to use the pictures as a stocking guide.
you calling me stupid? Laughing

fiffy wrote:
The problem is the people who make the product.
and I say that unless the product is dangerous in and of itself, then the problem lies solely with the consumer and not the manufacturer. If the analogy with the hammer doesn't work, fine.. let's try something else...
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/home.jsp?locale=en_US

can I give one to my son when he gets his licence?

http://www.fireworks.com/coupons_offers/coupons.asp
let's blow something up...

I could go on and on... but you get my point... neither of these products can be used by just anyone, nor "as is" from the manufacturer, and require extra equipment, training, or precautions... why is the thin fish tank any different?

If I am stupid, as you suggest, and buy this, add a 10g sump on the other side of the wall and stock with Peacock Gudgeon, what have I done wrong? The fish would love it... they don't like ton of current, they breed in tiny PVC tubes, and love to avoid each other after breeding... they are a mere one inch long, and 1/4" wide... many people keep 6 inch fish in tanks 18" deep... so how was what I did "bad" or to the detriment of the peacock gudgeon?

Nothing and it wasn't !!!! I used my brain, extra equipment, and choose livestock appropriate for the odd shaped tank.

Our modern culture loves to propogate the notion that we are mere victims with little personal culpability... are you sure that you are not falling prey to some of this propoganda? It's not my fault I used the product in "x" fashion... it's the big bad company's fault... look at the box!

Just an alternate view point...
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number6, if you're going to be part of an internet forum then stop with the logic and reason. Razz
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: