Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tank Stand
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DebF
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.06(Thu)14:20    Post subject: Tank Stand Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a suitable stand for a 75g tank that will match my cherry entertainment center. While wandering around Lowe's the other day, I noticed the unfinished kitchen cabinets and wondered about using a base cabinet for the tank stand. It would be deeper than the tank, but not by that much as the 75g tanks are 18"deep. I could then stain it with a stain that matched my entertainment center. The "48" base cabinets were less than $100 and that's less than lots of the tank stands I see that won't match my furniture. Any thoughts, pro or con? I'd like to make the countertop slate.. shouldn't be too hard.

DebF
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.06(Thu)14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full 75 gallon tank will weigh 850 lbs, so you will want to be sure whatever you buy will be structurally sound and sturdy enough to hold that kind of weight indefinitely. I have no idea how much weight kitchen cabinets are made to hold, but 850 lbs plus the weight of the slate countertop would make me nervous.

I got the weight from this site: http://faq.thekrib.com/intro-tables.html
55Gallons
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.06(Thu)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not design your own - design your stand the way you like to look like furniture you already have - buy the materials in the lumber department - if you have the tools , skill , build it your self- if not - buy the materials - and ask a local wood craftsman to build it for you just make sure you spec it to be able to hold the amount of weight . I am sure furniture makers have been aquired to build stands before and I'm sure theres info out on the net to help you make sure that its built to hold the weight - . I like the idea of home made stands as some stands are made of particle board which if it gets wet absorbs water and expands . I LIKE real wood - You put a nice finish on it it will look awesome with your furniture . you could even cheat a little and buy kitchen cabinet doors to save money a bit and sneek over to the hardware isle and get some door knobs that you like .

You can buy oak , cherry , poplar woods at any homedepot or lowes in the lumber depart ment - just make sure you have the measurements down to minimise unused material as those are bought by the l.f (lenier foot ) and it could get pricy - you could buy 4x8 sheets of cherry or oak ply wood IT Stains up nicely too . just some thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
DebF
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.06(Thu)18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about that too, but figured it would cost more than a cabinet. It would probably be better in the long run though as most of the cheap, unfinished cabinets are made with particle board too. I may draw up some plans and cost it out.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: