Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need help with diy light fixture
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JayJay65
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.03(Mon)19:11    Post subject: Need help with diy light fixture Reply with quote

How do I make a light fixture so I can put in an extra light?

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=29952
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.03(Mon)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a canopy on top of the aquarium or are you trying to add another bulb inside of a factory light setup?
JayJay65
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.03(Mon)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a glass on the top, and I put this piece of the top (that has the light inside it) on that glass reflector.. it only fits 1 light, and its not enough.. I need 40watts and it provides 19... and I'm 15 years old with no "technology classes"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.03(Mon)21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's percectly fine JayJay. In fact, that's why many people are here just as well! Wink

As for the lighting:

One, It sounds like it's not a very large tank (that's okay) and one quick solution that comes to mind is to go to your local fish store and see if they have any extra light fixtures for sale (for example, the same type that comes with most aquarium bought as a kit, the kind that sit on top, usually fluorescnet bulbs, and black plastic shell), and one that has a 40W or higher bulb/ballast. They may even have one that they're not using and you could have at a lesser cost.

Two, with maybe a little help from your father or friend, set out to build a small wooden box that will sit on top of the aquarium and act as a house for the light. Once you have constructed the box, you can go to a local hardware store and buy the neseccary parts (ballast, endcaps/sockets, and bulbs) and screw them inside of it.

Third, which differs slightly from option 2, is to still build the box and use a Retrofit Power Compact light which can be purchased online at a relatively low cost for that amount of wattage.

I hope that this possibly helps some. I think that I have some saved links for power compacts if you decide that is what you would want to do.
JayJay65
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.04(Tue)4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is kind of confusing.. do you have any pictures you can find to help me understand this?

blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.04(Tue)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure,

First, check out this link: http://www.lkraven.com/Aquarium/DIYLighting.htm

It shows a DIY Canopy/Hood and shows how this person built the canopy and installed lights in it. It gives good instructions and plenty of pictures.

Here is the standard fluorescent light fixture that comes with most store bought tanks. This would just sit on top of the glass, covering the aquarium:

This is a picture of a home made canopy (box) and has T5 fluorescent bulbs installed:

This is a retro fit power compact kit that you would secure to the inside of a canopy that you either buy or build yourself. The only reason I mentioned PC's is because they are small and compact yet, offering the amount of light that you indicated:

Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: