Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fromia sp. feeding question?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.26(Sun)15:27    Post subject: fromia sp. feeding question? Reply with quote

OK, I prob. did a bad thing...total Salt water newbie thing to do...

I had read about a 1 hour acclimitization for starfish... LFS recommended same.. so we bought a little Fromia sp. red starfish.

For 24 hours he's been crusing around, mostly at the top of the tank.

Now, after reading much much more about this sea star I am seeing a ton of recommendations to drip for 4 to 6 hours...

1 hour is far from 4 to 6...
there's no pinched area, nor problem... but I am more than a little worried...

Are there any early warning signs?

anything I can do to minimize the harm done?

This is a new setup with plenty of live rock that has been running with no fish or inverts for the cycle and to let the algae grow in prep for a detrivore crew of this starfish, snails and a few hermit crabs.

Tank has been getting New Life Spectrum and has a 96W 50/50 bulb over it. Salinity, pH, O2 all good... no idea what the LFS salinity is kept at... never knew it was important to match salinity this close Rolling Eyes Dumb me...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by number6 on 2006.03.29(Wed)8:31; edited 1 time in total
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.03.26(Sun)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dripped him for an hour it helped a lot. So many people just dump livestock with LFS water right into their tank, a definate no no. Depending on the rate of drip everything should be fine. They are sensitive to mostly salinity and pH changes, the drip should have helped that a lot. One thing to try and do is when you get livestock, test the water they are in, it will help you decide how much to acclimate them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.26(Sun)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank goodness for some ray of hope...

you do your research but its so hard to know what it is you don't know...

pH would have been the same but salinity... who knows.

I don't really know what the drip rate was as I merely let it drip and dumped water a few times once his little bucket was nearly full...

I read that damage can take a couple of weeks to show so I'll post back and let you know how he fared with my mishandling... Crying or Very sad

Man... fresh water is a cinch compared to this....
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.03.26(Sun)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey #6!

Welcome to the darkside. You'll never have to wonder what to do with your money again Laughing
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.28(Tue)16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully you two are still monitoring this thread...

did I make a horrible purchase?

The more I read about this starfish the more I am suspecting some misinformation...

I had read that it was an omnivore, suitable for small tanks with live rock and would feed on the live rock/ algae, sponges etc. with some shrimp or silversides...

Now as I keep reading I am seeing some of the reef experts talking about most Fromia starving to death...

What do the orange marble sea stars eat? Does anyone know or do these poor animals just take so long to starve that this is called a success in keeping this animal?

This little guy is still enjoying the tank, cruising around... not showing any issues (though its only been 4 days...)

All healthy signs like seeking shade when the lights are on, and exploring when the lights are off...

Feel free to give me the cold hard truth... if I have to find this guy a new home in someones 200g reef tank then I'll start now...

thanks
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.29(Wed)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have one of these starfish... I've had mine for a few months & haven't had a problem (60g aquarium). Here is some information on them:

Quote:
It is found over sandy substrates, on rocks, and sometimes climbing among corals and other invertebrates. It is constantly foraging for micro-organisms and detritus to eat, so the aquarium should have ample amounts of live rock. It generally lives alone, but if the aquarium is large enough to support more than one, it will tolerate others of its own species.

It is recommended to supplement its diet with small pieces of shrimp, mussel, or flaked food.

(LiveAquaria)

These little guys are described by LiveAquaria as being 'moderate' in care level.

I don't think you've made a bad decision in buying him - as long as you have plenty of live rock for him to graze on.

I'm no expert though... but as far as I can tell - if they're given plenty of live rock & you supplement their diet maybe once a week - they seem to be fine.

Anyway, hope this helps Smile
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.29(Wed)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the article I used to make my shopping list... Embarassed
have you ever seen yours eat anything?

I have plenty of live rock in there and would happily set this guy up with a couple hundred pounds of it if that would keep him alive...

Problem is, I haven't really bumped into anyone who has figured out what they eat or had one for longer than one year... Question
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.29(Wed)20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cold hard truth? Sadly, most starfish starve to death in captive systems. This is true of MANY invertebrates, and I have tried many times in this forum to clarify that. The average marine aquarium is simply no substitute for the massive and constant supply of specialty foods they require to prosper. Even a few hundred pounds of live rock will be eventually grazed bare of its living food supplies. Wish I could give you better news, here's another opinion:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/ac/feature/index.php
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.29(Wed)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I actually hadn't realised that. I had no idea their feeding requirements were that involved. Would you suggest that it would be OK to keep this species providing they were fed daily? Or are their long-term survival chances still dismal?
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.29(Wed)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, would the addition of Marine Snow, Marine Seafood & Marine Trace Elements along with daily feedings & plenty of live rock, be enough to replicate their natural food source?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: