Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Koi booboo- will it heal?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JWalk79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.25(Sat)23:59    Post subject: Koi booboo- will it heal? Reply with quote

I just looked at my baby koi tonight (he's about 3" long) and he has a white scrape in his orange head! He's always very active, and he has in the past put a little split in his tail and popped a scale or two, all of which I have treated with melafix, some StressCoat and aquarium salt to prevent any infections. But now, he has literally scraped off the color in a small stripe down the top of his head. I dosed him with the melafix and some salt as a precaution. The stripe is not red or swollen or bleeding...it's like someone took an eraser and erased the color on the top of his head.

Now, my question is whether or not he will regain the color (orange/red) on the top of his head when this heals. He's a beautiful little fish, and not show quality or anything, but he has a fantastic nearly perfectly symmetrical kohaku pattern to him. But I am just wondering if anyone thinks he'll get the color back on his stirpe.

Any ideas for how I can get him to chill out a bit, too? He'll be going in a pond this spring, but I don't want him to keep hurting himself because he is so rambuncious. I try to keep his water cool (around 70-72 degrees F) which helps calm him...but any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.06(Thu)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he should regain he's colour, it may take some time.

Quote:
Any ideas for how I can get him to chill out a bit, too?

Bring down the temp to about 65˚F, or so.
JWalk79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.06(Thu)21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best way to cool an aquarium? Sounds like a silly question, but this tank doesn't even have a heater and stays put at about 70-72 degrees F, which is the general room temperature. I try to keep the lights off in the hood which can raise the temp, and it's also out of the sunlight. Sometimes when I make small water changes I cool add some slightly cooler water, but it will always increase to match the ambient temp of the room.

Strange question, I know. Most people can't get their tank warm enough! Smile
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.07(Fri)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often had the same problem with some of my smaller cold reefs. The only option is to add a cooling device (not necessarily economically viable) or bring down room temp if you can. Dose your room temp fluctuate?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: