Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Some suggestions on skimmers...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
worms1313
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.19(Sun)21:05    Post subject: Some suggestions on skimmers... Reply with quote

I have been reading the forumstrying to find out wether I need a skimmer or not. I have read that some use it and are faithful by it and some of you don't. I have a 50 gal. tank with an emporer 400 filter on it. doesn't the biowheels perform in a way the same job that a skimmer does? also if not any recommendations on a good skimmer for my size tank.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.19(Sun)21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not the same as any other filter... the skimmer is very unique in that it uses a nifty molecular trick to bind proteins to the micro bubbles and export the organics out of the water column into a cup BEFORE they CONVERT to dissolved organic compounds/nitrates.
Biomedia (wheels, balls, stars, bale, etc.) simply house large bacteria cultures which convert organics to less toxic organic compounds. Thus, they do not REMOVE or EXPORT the same way as the foam fractionator. From my archive:

The ones I see a lot of good comments on, here and other forums, are the Super Skimmer by Coralife, the Won Brothers line, ASM gets very good reviews and of course the EuroReef brand. Be advised, these things are rarely "set it and forget it" gizmos, they can require cleaning, maintenance, adjusting, etc. Many of the products on the market are worthless junk, choose wisely.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.03.19(Sun)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Coralife Super Skimmer 125 running on my 56 gallon. It seems to work okay and is pulling a bunch of gunk out of the tank, even though I have nothing but live rock in their right now.

But, I think the CSS will need some modding. For one, the flexible tubing on the return flow is a bit of a pain (not to mention the diffuser box is huge!), so I plan to replace it with regular PVC tubing and a sponge.
worms1313
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.19(Sun)22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys. I am gonna go get one tommorow. which would be good for a new to the hobby guy

also I posted this in the wrong thread but I have a thread in saltwater basics about my light can one of you go in there and read it and give me a suggestion?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.20(Mon)12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I have read, I would likley go with the ASM, the ASM G-1 is rated for about double your gallons so that's about right, be advised, I do NOT endorse any of these products or retailers officially.

here are some more opinions:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i1/protein_skimmer_impressions.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/proskimrart2.htm
http://www.aquamartonline.com/catalog/item/2438561/2056802.htm
http://www.saltycritter.com/skimmers-asm.htm
http://www.reefscience.com/web/skimmers.php
phisheyed
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.23(Thu)16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

if using one of those cheapo airstone skimmer, will it make a difference if I use 2 side by side?

Last edited by phisheyed on 2006.03.23(Thu)16:58; edited 1 time in total
worms1313
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.23(Thu)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the brand name, but I have seen the filters that have a skimmers as well. are those any good?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.03.23(Thu)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

worms1313 wrote:
I don't know the brand name, but I have seen the filters that have a skimmers as well. are those any good?

That is called a skilter, it is junk. I own an ASM G3 that is fitted as recirculating with the water being fed by a MaxiJet 1200. This skimmer while not cheap is not expensive either. It is a solid performer and will serve any tank wonderfully. I cannot say enough fgood things about it. I also have an AquaC Urchin, while a good performer, it pales in comparison to the ASM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.23(Thu)19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a AquaC Remora on my 55 gallon and it works great. Other skimmers that I have heard great things about are:

My Reef Creations
Euro-Reef
ASM
Coralife Super Skimmer

2.5 gallon saltwater tank
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 50 gal salt tank I am starting. I have sand substrate and an Emperor 400 on the back. I am looking into skimmers when I talked with a sales rep on a site I found and they recommended as an alternative or in combo with skimmer, a refugium.

Now, by creating a refugium in say a 10 gallon tank witha pump and adding mineral mud and live rock, various plants, would this be better than a skimmer? She explained it as taking the same things that the skimmer would remove and instead pumping into the refugium would allow other life to absorb and use.

Is this correct? Or should I only focus on a skimmer?

Thank you.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: