Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
killifish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
flyerfan
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.19(Sun)19:09    Post subject: killifish Reply with quote

are killifish agrassive or are they peaceful. could they be kept with tetras and barbs. what size tank do they need. how hardy are they. sorry for all the questions.
lemuelpr
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.20(Mon)0:57    Post subject: It all depends Reply with quote

What I had noticed is that basicly, theres not much info about what we ask about compatibility with other fishes. Someone gave me a pair of "Fundulopanchax Gardneri Misaje" today and I plan to put them in my 55 gallon tank with Discus, Rainbows, golden white clouds, Neons and dwarf cichlids. Apparently it all depends on the type of Killi. The only one I had experience is with the most common one sold in local pet shops, the Golden Wonde Killi (its like 3 inch long). Actually I read that ones tend to be more aggresive, and I found it out when he ate my Cardinals (they were quite small, so I don't know if that counts). Other wise, no problem. When I had him I had an Angel, and he seem affraid of him. When I took the Killi out and put him with a Rainbow and a Tiger Barb, he was more aggresive. The guy who gave me this new ones, had a different species of killi with bigger fishes and no problem. So I would say for the moments that if you want to add some killies to a community tank, try the smaller ones (2 inches). Trial and error. Wink
Josh Hansen
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.20(Mon)3:27    Post subject: killifish Reply with quote

I would say "No" with my experience with my Killie fish gardeni species. I found the killie fish needs to be the dominant large fish. From my personal experience the angel and barbs would harass the killie fish. My killie fish was fine with tetras.

from Josh
nibbles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.20(Mon)3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had gold killis in a 55g with some tetras, and they ate the ones that fit into their mouths.. Their mouths open quite a bit, and they most likely will eat small fish.
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.20(Mon)7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Blue Panchax Killis in with Cherry Barbs, Checker Barbs and Corys in a 12 gallon tank and they are a great addition! They are very peaceful and do not bother my other fish, nor are they bothered by any. The Cherry Barbs were at one time small enough to fit in the Killi's mouths but they were never harassed. I would say that the aggressivness of killis and thier compatabilty are going to vary greatly with each species. My experience with the Blue Panchax has been a great one and I would definitely recomend them to anyone with a community tank!
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.20(Mon)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to what species of killifish you are talking of and what kind of aggressiveness. Some killies can be amazingly nasty fish while many others can be perfectly peaceful.

Most of the commonly seen species are in the middle range. IME Fp. gardneri and Aplocheilus lineatus work in a community tank as long as you don't have anything that fits in their mouth. Probably do better in quiet community tanks as opposed to the ones with things like danios and barbs zipping around...a lone male Fp. gardneri in my tank seems a bit lost amongst all the montezumae swordtails.

Most killifish are aggressive to others of their own kind at some point but that is usually not a concern with people just interested in keeping a few in a community tank.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.21(Tue)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the very same type of KIlli you are asking about. Hatched from eggs in peat. They can be kept in as little as 2.5g and breed in the same tank. Usaully 1m/2f. They can spwan on mops or peat dosn't matter to them. I have moved 2 piars to 75g planted tank. With guppys and mollie and Apisto,kribs. They stick to the top of the tank and ONLY EAT LIVE FOOD.

DON'T FEED THEM FLAKE FOOD PLEASE IF YOU WANT THEM TO LIVE. They will eat menbers of the family to stay alive. They come from rain puddles and only have a short life span in these puddles. So they grow quit fast as to breed and spawn eggs to keep the family alive.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.21(Tue)20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie: What species are you talking about?
plus all kinds of smaller containers
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.21(Tue)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killies in general are pretty tough little hombres... I cn't say I'd warn people not to feed them flake... they will over eat... is this what you meant?
dpanopio9
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.21(Tue)22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Golden Wonder Killie as well.

From reading the replies I think I'm lucky to have one that's not aggressive.

Mine happily lives with neons and rummynoses and no trouble has come from it. I think it's almost adult size also (around 3 inches).
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: