Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Condensation
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
TimL
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.04(Sat)8:13    Post subject: Condensation Reply with quote

Hi All,

Some minor problems with my new DIY tank, got a lot of condensation on the lid, which is also the feature of the coffee table.

I need to know of a way of stopping the water condensing on the lid.. I am very close to adding a few fans into the equation to try to disperse the moisture, but not sure if this will work as well as maybe an anti-fog product for car windows etc.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim.
Goneelsewhere
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.04(Sat)17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a condensation tray?
Livebearer101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.05(Sun)13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, just have a look at your LFS, condensation trays are common and will definitley be stocked. That'll solve it obviously.
TimL
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.05(Sun)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they work.. will I still be able to see condensation on them? I have a clear glass lid on the coffee table, and need to be able to see straight into the water.

Another chap mentioned putting fans at each end of the table. It also helps with keeping the tank cool, so I might have to look into this. I will ask about these trays tonight, and see what I can come up with.

Cheers to all for your help.

Tim.
Goneelsewhere
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.05(Sun)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

A condensation tray is a transparent glass slide or piece of plastic with fits the length and width of the tank and protects the lighting from any condensation which would cause it to get damaged etc. The water collects on the tray and either drips back into the tank, and can be wiped when you clean the tank. Smile
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.03.06(Mon)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
Condensation is one of the drawbacks to a coffeetable tank. The condensation tray will keep it off the glass but might still obscure the view. Fans could work but you will have to account for the larger than usual evaporation they will cause. One further suggestion is to have a coldwater set up in the tank. Danios, W.C.M.M., paradise fish etc... Use no heaters and let the water temp. be whatever the ambient room temp is. This will cause the least amount of condensation.
Good luck.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: