Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Having a bit of trouble...
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Boydy
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.04(Sat)1:10    Post subject: Having a bit of trouble... Reply with quote

I have tried twice now to build a diy CO2 injector without success. I am using a 2litre coke bottle and the seal in the lid is completley tight. I have tried to separate (but similar) recipes I found here and on another site and I never even get one bubble... It's like it doesn't react enough to push the co2 up the tube and into the tank. It doesn't matter wether the bottle is above or below the tank it still never works.

I'm thinking about trying 2 bottles next that feed into a single tube going into the tank with a T connector. What do you think?

Any advice would be great..

Boydy
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.03.04(Sat)1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried moving the end of the tube (inside the tank) closer to the surface of the water?
bumper
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.13(Mon)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have also encountered problems starting my CO2. I don't know if it was one thing or another so I tried to cover it all, things seem to work well now.

Water temperature is important, too hot will kill the yeast, so I use similar temperature water to that which I fill my tanks with. I also then shake and dissolve the sugar into this water before adding the yeast. If the co2 does not start in 24 hours, then placing the bottle on the canopy will heat the water some, stimulating the yeast. If this does not work, I have started a new mixture.

To seal the airline hose I have used super/krazyglue, sometimes silicon will not stick to the plastic of the bottle cap.

If you are using a checkvalve, make sure it is inline the right dirrection.

Shaking the bottle may stirup a reaction and you may get a sudden burst of bubbles. If you don't then there is a leak, or its a bad recipe.

The two liter recipe I use is 2 cups white sugar, dash of baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon yeast. Substituting brown sugar for white, has worked aswell. I have recently used 3 cups corn sugar, dash of baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon brewing yeast and it seems to have a longer life.

I hope all that helps!
Bumper
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: