Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Best Filter for Big Gold Fish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
straycat
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.28(Tue)10:06    Post subject: Best Filter for Big Gold Fish Reply with quote

I have a 55 gal. long tank that I plan on useing strickly 4 big fancy gold fish & Black Moores. Do I need an undergravel filter AND somthing eles? What would that something eles be, and please be specific with brand and or part #bers. I have tanks with external overflow filters, and one with a Cascade Penn-Plax internal, in tank filter. I hear the generic term "canister" what exactlt is that? Newbe questions 4 sure, but have had fresh water most of my life, just have not kept up with the times! Thanks in advance, Lon
Devs
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.28(Tue)22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't believe in using UGF's with Goldfish at all.They are massive waste producer's and the gunk that could and would build up under that filter,would be bad overall.Personally,for a 55 gal.,I'd go with 2 Emperor 400's or even 2 Aquaclear 110's. Goldfish are recommended to have at least 10 X's the filtration of their tank,so with a 55-you want to at least have a filter with 550 gph. I have found through trial and error that the higher you go,the better off you are because goldfish do produce huge waste amount in a very short time. I like to keep at least two filter's on my tanks at all times,incase one stops,or needs to be cleaned----in case I need a seeded filter for a new tank etc... I know a lot of people usethe Cannister filter's and someday I'm sure that I will too.Those things are just a tad too costly for my budget right now. :lol:The ones I mentioned are pretty reasonable-especially at Big Al's.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.01(Wed)7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Devs, UGF's are probably the worst type for gold fish unless, used in Reverse.

The Aquaclear HOB 110's are good, but considering the cost, I'd rather use the Cascade Penn-Plax HOB filters, same principal the Cascades just cost less. Generally I feel that HOB filters contain too little filter medium, and because of the fact that they have to suck up water, their flow rates are not necessarily the best (some makes like Emperor and Aquaclear are generally better in this aspect than the others). For this reason I always buy the biggest, normally a Cascade 300 or Aquaclear 500.

If you
straycat
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.01(Wed)11:22    Post subject: Big Al's Web Site Address? Reply with quote

I would like to thank both of you for the great info and put to me in a way I could understand it! Thanks. I found the Canadian Big Al's but don't they have one in the USA? Thanks Again, Lon
Guybrush
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.03(Fri)4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Al's US site is www.bigalsonline.com (apparently Google blocks the US site because of some copyright issue).

If you want something between HOB and canister, you can look at the H.O.T. Magnum filter. It's a small canister filter that you can hang on your tank. At Big Al's, it's $44.99 or $62.99 for the pro system (you get a bio-wheel and some tubing). But with a 55G tank, it might not be strong enough for you. On my 60G turtle tank, I use the Fluval 404 and it works great (just needs maintenance every month or so).
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.03(Fri)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather use the pro system, it has more water to air interface.
donaldduck
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar situation going, in that I'm setting up a 55 gallon for 4-5 fancy goldfish and some hillstream loaches (if I can find them.) I have a Magnum 350 Pro canister on order; is that enough by itself? Or do I need to add an aquaclear 500 or something else to it, to ensure that the fish do well? If I need a second filter, should I cycle them simultaneously, or wait until I have partial stocking to add the second filter?

I'm getting back into the hobby after about seven years out of it. In the past, I probably fell more into the "fish-haver" category. This time around, I'd prefer to be labeled as a "keeper", so I'm trying to do my best to put in the research time to start off right.

Thanks in advance for replies.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magnum 350 Pro filter is great technology IMO and should be all you need for your 4-5 goldfish, all that you might want to add is a power-head, just to keep the bottom free of debris.

I'm glad you have decided to change your ways, your fish will be for ever thankful.
donaldduck
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. I'd picked up an Aquaclear, but I'll probably take it back, now.

I have no experience with powerheads, though. I must confess I've never understood the concept. I'll have to look into it.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.18(Tue)13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll have to look into it.

I urge you to; it realy decreased the time, which I use to spend siphoning the tank bottom.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: