Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gurgle free return
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mickle
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.28(Tue)7:41    Post subject: Gurgle free return Reply with quote

Hi guys just wondering on what you would sugest as to what would be the best return to the sump from the tanks, they will be drilled so... ?
Smile
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.01(Wed)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure this out myself for my tank! From what I've been reading, it sounds like the Durso style stand pipes and similar DIY's seem to be very quiet. Also, people have mentioned using filter floss or a sponge on the output to help reduce the noise. Are your holes drilled on the bottom or the sides?

Also, what is the amount of water that you are trying to move or cycle through it? It seems like in most applications people use 1" bulkheads or possibly two if you have a large return pump and are trying to move a considerable amount of water.

However, like on a large tank upwards of 200 gal. you might want to consider using 1 1/2" bulkheads. You could then move in the neighborhood of 1600 gal/Hr
Mickle
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.02(Thu)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be either, there will be two tanks one ontop of the other, I will be making them myself as part of a college course. Its to go, when finished in my bedroom so it needs to be quite quiet. Smile
All ideas welcome for sump/ anything.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.02(Thu)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

With one on top of the other, you would basically have your return from the sump going into the top tank, with the overflow draining into your lower tank, and then another overflow from the lower tank going into your sump. Is that what you are trying to do?

What size tanks are you going to be building?
Mickle
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.02(Thu)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

There going to be 200l custom sizes though Smile
800x500x500mm
I don't want the rubbish from one tank going into the other, I've been speaking to a couple of people and they belive it would be better to keep a fresh as it were, supply going in Smile
At the moment the plan is to have bottom drilled tanks with a corner overflow box for the added saftey from spillages.
Hows that sound?
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.02(Thu)15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me! Good luck and post some pictures when it's done!
Mickle
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.02(Thu)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do, still jealous of your tank Smile
Thanks!
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.02(Thu)22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks! It's more challenging than I thought it would be and certainly taking longer. I'll be posting some more pics soon.

You know, another thing that I'm going to do that you might want to look into also is putting in a closed system as well. In my case, for such a long tank, it will add current and some bio-filtration as well.

Good Luck!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: