Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Epoxy instead of silicone?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
TimL
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.27(Mon)6:23    Post subject: Epoxy instead of silicone? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I noticed, while reading the following article, that there is mention of an epoxy, which sets quicker than silicone. Just wondering if anyone knows much about it.

Article: http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_terrarium.php

Quote:
Fortunately, while discussing this growing dilemma with a friend at a local fish store, he turned me on to a product called HoldFast by Aquarium Systems. This was an epoxy that (unlike aquarium silicone), was non-toxic to fish, began to dry in seven minutes, and completely dried within hours. Not only that, but you could use it underwater! This meant that I did not have to pull everything out of the tank (as I did too many times before). It did cost about $2 more than the silicone, but it turned out to be more than worth it. Once home from the store, I quickly placed a layer of this epoxy directly over the dried silicone on the water side. The silicone was strong enough to hold the glass in place, so I did not feel the need to epoxy both sides of the glass. My Aqua-Terrarium was finally complete!

This epoxy sounds like the perfect solution instead of waiting for my quarantine/backup tank to set..

Any suggestions?

Tim.

EDIT: Found the product OK, should have reworded the initial description.. Can this be used in place of silicon for creating a tank.. the epoxy description doesn't mention it.. however..

Quote:
http://www.petdiscounters.com/product.php?productid=1062003&cat=266&page=1

This epoxy stick has been especially designed for use in aquariums and reptile habitats. Its superior bonding strength allows you to create steps, caves, cliffs, and walls for reptiles to enjoy. Bonds to rocks, wood, slate, and many other materials. Totally non-toxic to fish and reptiles. Excellent for use in terrariums and freshwater or saltwater aquariums. Bonds and cures under water. Mixes easily in the palm of your hand and remains workable for at least seven minutes. Can be sanded, filed, or drilled within one hour of mixing.

Just an interesting thought..
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.27(Mon)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, thanks for posting this. When the times comes to stack my rocks I think I will try some of this instead of silicone. I tried researching it a bit and couldn't find any negative opinions or reviews on it either.
Ganoderma
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.23(Thu)7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that product but I am VERY wary of something liek epoxy sayign it cures under water and its safe.

I can't believe that epoxy's off gassing is non toxic.

Also keep in mind drying is not curing. Curing means all teh chemical reactions are finished.

I have used epoxy many times with reptiles and amphibians, but I always let it cure outside untill I even thought about decorating it.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: