Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help with DIY Wood Hood
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
terencevs
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)5:45    Post subject: Help with DIY Wood Hood Reply with quote

I am in the process of designing my own hood. It will be constructed out of wood. Any suugestions of what type of wood and what I should use to seal the wood to stop it from getting damp?

Thanks
Aquageek
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.23(Thu)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the type of wood you should use, however a guy I know made some wooden hoods and sealed them by putting black boat paint on them. The only drawback is that you lose the natural color of the wood.
Fish Addict
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.23(Thu)12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to use a very hard, solid wood with a water-proof coating on it. If it doesn't, it will get warped and bend.
Fishboy86
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.23(Thu)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

terencevs I have made my own hood out of wood and I would suggest that you use birch plywood, plan your desing that you want don't forget to water proof it because the condensation will detiriorate the wood very fast also use a staple gun instead of screws.
Kaiser
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.04(Sat)20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

terencevs...I built my hood out of pine (not a hard wood by anyones standards) and it has not warped or deteriorated at all. It was constructed using carpenters glue and wood screws (used a pocket-screw bit to tap the holes). Once assembled, I stained it and protected it with four coats of varithane. It has absorbed no moisture, as it still weighs what it did when built. It is a two piece connected with a piano hinge to access the tank.
If you are interested in the plans or how it was built...contact me.
53cent
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.11(Sat)12:08    Post subject: pine Reply with quote

My new pine hood warped a little. But it still looks good and is only a few weeks old. I suppose that ill stain it and use a oil base poly. The birch or poplar or oak is probably better and is available in strips from homed and lowes. You can also buy the pine that way. They come in 1''x6'x12'' or what ever size. And will decrease your need to cut. I built mine to fit over the tank edge and made runners to hold it up. with the front panel hinged at the top. This gave me 2 more inches for lighting. I could light the holland tunnel with this thing. If you use hard woods be sure and predrill all the holes or you will go through a lot of nails. You can also use regular plywood and finish the outside with oak veneer plywood . then trim all the edges with some nice oak corner trim. CArefull to practice your hinges before you build. You don't want to get that wrong or you can ruin your whole hood look.
You can make a nice light cover with dupont plexiglass from depot. This really helps with water evaporation. Be sure to design a support for the back or middle or the thing may sag.
53cent
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.11(Sat)12:15    Post subject: Prices Reply with quote

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=48&pad=true&Ne=8000&category=Wood+Boards&N=0+5000164

You can do these in 4'' 6 '' and 8'' with out having to cut longways to make your hood. Just make a box with a door.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: