Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Asking price for my setups??? (long story, sorry)
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)1:00    Post subject: Asking price for my setups??? (long story, sorry) Reply with quote

Okay, here's the deal. I have a 10 and a 20 gallon tank with filters, hoods, lights, heaters, thermostats, and they are farely new, kind of (10 gallon is 5-6 months old, 20 gallon is 3-4 months old) I've been fishkeeping for about 2 1/2 years though (fyi). Anyways I have ben wanting a 55 gallon or larger tank for some time now. I started a saving kind of "program" where 1/2 of all my "income" (part time job, allowance) is saved into my savings account and the rest to my safe to save up for this 55 gallon tank.

I posted a paper on the table in the breakroom at work asking if anyone had a large fish tank they wanted to sell to me. I got a reply saying it was a 2 month old 50 gallon tank with light and hood for 50$ and if I wanted, the stand that came with it for another 50$. I had accumulated (since I started this saving thing) about 75$ and thought "wow!". So I talked to the lady and we arranged for her to leave it at the place I work and I would bring 50$ for the tank tonight and leave it on her desk and take the tank. When I went to get it I noticed it wasn't as big as I was thinking. I thought in surface area or (however much room there was length x width was about what my 20 gallon was, but this was a bit taller. So I took it home, measured, and found out it's only a 30 gallon tank. I am not sure what to do now, but I think I'm going to call the lady tomorrow and decide what to do then. I'm not sure now if I still want it.

My plan was to sell my 5 gallon and my 10 gallon tanks and have the 50 gallon and the 20 gallon running (I already sold the 5 gallon for 20$). Now I have a 20 and a 10 gallon running and a 30 gallon that I have no idea what to do with. My current plan is to sell the 10 gallon and the 20 gallon tanks with all the accessories (even the gravel for the bottom) and just have the 30 gallon tank. I also kind of (jokingly) won a video game system on Ebay that I could easily sell on Ebay again for about 50-60$ Then maybe a little while later like maybe another month or so after I sell those 3 things I can buy a 55 gallon from Wal-Mart and go from there. My questions to you all are how much could I sell these 2 tanks for? They both have an Aquaclear filter for tanks up to 30 gallons, a heater fit for the tank, the 20 has a hood with a fluorescent light, the 10 has a hood with 2 15 what bulbs, they both have a thermostat stuck onto the sides of the tanks that reads from 72-86 degrees fahrenheit. I also could sell the gravel for the 10 gallon tank. How much for each would you guys suggest? I am going to put an ad in the Classified section in our local newspaper for both tanks. My guesstimate was maybe 60$ for the 20 gallon and 35-40$ for the 10 gallon? They're both extremely nice setups, but I want bigger. If my prices are too low or high please tell me. Thanks all and sorry for this enormous post.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

bare tank- used is roughly $1 a gallon. Lids, lights, stands add to the value. Gravel, plastic plants, etc. don't add anything to the value. most folks want to buy there own stuff for the tank anyway.

if you wanted to get the most value for the money, cheat.

Empty the tanks of fish, but leave dcorated. Right before someone comes and looks at them, fill with tap water, de-chlorinate and add 3 neon tetras.

For some reason, people will pay more for a tank if the water is crystal clear and the neons catch their eye. I don't understand it but its true.

I had one 33g tank for sale, with stand and I tried to get $40 for it. No go.

I added a second 33g tank to the stand, put a pic, and got $120 for the pair. Something about the visual appeal of a serious fish keeper setup or something must have worked. It's ideas and dreams that sell things from tanks, to cars to houses...
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm......... I like that way of thinking. Crystal Clear water and a couple cheap, bright, eye catching fish. Well, maybe my prices were a bit high. Okay, here's what I'll be selling then. A 20 gallon tank with an Aquaclear filter (not sure what number it is or whatever), the hood with a nice fluorescent light, a good heater, and a small thermostat. How does 35$ sound for that? For the 10 gallon, I am gonna sell with the same Aquaclear filter, hood with 2, 15 watt bulbs, good heater, and a small thermostat on the side. Maybe 25$ for that tank?
YuccaPatrol
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.16(Thu)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should keep the stuff you have and wait until you can afford the 55 gallon.

You definitely sound like someone who loves this hobby and you will always want more aquariums. Selling good filters and equipment will only mean buying it all again at full price in the future.

I think you should keep looking for a good used 55gal. Check the paper, those free classified ad magazines, and places like craigslist.

I haven't had luck with it yet, but I placed a want ad on craigslist for cheap/free aquariums and equipment. I figure that the majority of aquariums out there in the world are sitting unused in garages and basements and I just need to figure out how to find the people that would love for me to take their junk off of their hands.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.16(Thu)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

try $50 and $25

Maybe ask 60$ and 30$ and settle down to te prices you suggest.

If you make em sparkle, you'd likely get $50 for a nice 20g setup.
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.16(Thu)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check the classified's daily, I check Craigslist monthly, and when I posted that paper at work it really worked. I don't really think I want to keep the filters or the heaters except maybe the 10 gallon for a quarantine tank. I only want to get bigger and bigger and the filter and heater are meant to do their jobs best in up to a 20 gallon tank so they would have low value for me to add them to other tanks. Maybe a second filter would be nice, but it's not necessary. I hope I can figure something out soon. I also am planning on taking a trip to Wal-Mart to look at 55 gallon tanks. I know they sell them cheaper new there than most used I could find. Then I will have to go to a lfs to find a fitting stand. That's probably my best plan. Selling the 20 gallon at about 60 to start off sounds good!
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: