Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
colorfull fish for the top an mid. levels of my 44 gallon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lilquiz
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.02(Thu)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the rainbowfish. The Australian Rainbows, New Guinia Reds are pretty hardy and the bigger they get, the prettier they are.
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.03(Fri)9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go for the rainbow fish too, there are so many colourfull ones out there to choose from!!!
Boydy
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.04(Sat)0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gourami's or Harlequin Rasbora's are great... I keep both with mature angels and have no trouble at all.
scottsws
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.05(Sun)2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouramis are very colorful fish and in my experience will do just fine with angels. Get ONE decent sized-male even in a 44 gallon tank. Gouramis are intelligent and have individual personalities, which may be the reason why TJTommy doesn't recommend them with angels.

Gouramis swim all over the tank, but generally hang out in the top and then the middle. They are also larger than fish like Rasboros and you don't have to get a school of six as with Rainbowfish (three is NOT a school).

I really like Rams and they are not quite as shy as you may think, but still you have to be careful. They are NOT as colorful as a Gourami, so if you really want color, pass them up.

Scott
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.05(Sun)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

He used to have a couple gouramis in there but he got rid of them becuase there were problems with the angels and them. I say either get a pair of bolivian rams or 6 dwarf neon rainbows.
fancy
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.05(Sun)13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't vouch for compatibility, but agree that you would probably like rainbows. I just got 4 Australians 2 weeks ago for a 46 gal & plan on adding more rainbows (prob Boesemans & Reds). They are very colorful & very fast (esp at feeding time).
StormRavin
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.05(Sun)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

One type of fish I have yet to see mentioned is Killifish. They are a mid to top level fish that is very colorful and comes in many different varieties. I have 2 Blue panchax killis and they are a wonderful, colorful peaceful addition to my tank. You can also check out the gallery for some other types of killifish.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Aplocheilus_panchax.php
Livebearer101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.05(Sun)15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAINBOWS RAINBOWS RAINBOWS

They're simple amazing fish, get some.
Snarf!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.05(Sun)20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearl danios, if you can get any. They're as pretty as, and usually cheaper than, rainbowfish in the correct lighting. They even look like rainbow fish (shapewise).
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.03.06(Mon)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snarf! wrote:
Pearl danios, if you can get any. They're as pretty as, and usually cheaper than, rainbowfish in the correct lighting. They even look like rainbow fish (shapewise).

I agree with pearl danios. Fast and elusive, probably won't be gobbled up by your cichlids. On top of that you don't very often hear about the killer danio that was fighting with peoples fish while somepeople do have issues with gouramis becoming territorial. The pearl danios are really an under rated fish if you ask me Smile
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: