Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
colorfull fish for the top an mid. levels of my 44 gallon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tommy1fm
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)22:29    Post subject: colorfull fish for the top an mid. levels of my 44 gallon Reply with quote

what do you guys suggest to liven up the top or middle layers of my tank.. the tank is planted and is a 44 gallon. it is stocked with
2 angelfish
1 mystery cichlid lol (he is very small is said to only grow to 4 inches he is green with black stripes any ideas)
3 corys
1 red tailed shark
1 pleco
any idea I want to add rams but believe they are to shy for my tank because it is in my room so they might hide all thew time... though about zebra danios but think my angels will gobble them up... any idea about fish you guys have had success with
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.14(Tue)22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebras are a good choice and they probably won't get eaten because they are so fast. However, a neon tetra would probably bite the dust. I can never get neons to thrive in my tank and have given up on them. I would rather spend money on zebras which are more hardy and live longer (for me that is).

Another choice is the Giant Danio, which I have found is exactly like the zebra but twice the size. They behave the same but are large and really neat to watch going back and forth under the surface. I don't get them right now because they are more expensive. However, even just having two is neat.
Gouramis, barbs would work also. Rosy barb is my favorite.
Jessy6
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if its normal or not, but my Rams don't go anywhere near the top of the tank. They mostly hang out in the bottom 1/3rd.
tommy1fm
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya my bad on the rams so now any ideas of other fish
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about rainbowfish ? they are very colorful, fast swimmers and don't think angel fish will gobble them up. Depends on how long your tank is though

you would need too research on how many you can keep in this much of a tank but I think a trio would be fine Smile
Its Parti Time
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOURAMI very colorful and stays in the mid of my 25 gallon
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about hatchet fish? They are often overlooked in the community tank, make good tankmates and prefer the top half of the tank. Right up your alley Very Happy

I'm not too sure about the maximum size of them though(theres different types)but as always Google is your best friend.
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

koolguyal wrote:
what about rainbowfish ? they are very colorful, fast swimmers and don't think angel fish will gobble them up. Depends on how long your tank is though

you would need too research on how many you can keep in this much of a tank but I think a trio would be fine Smile

I second this 100%! They are great fish and stay towards the middle. I recomend you get 4 dwarf neon rainbows. Gouramis are top dwellers, and won't get along with the angel long term. Hatchet can be another option but they are top dwellers, not as colorful as rainbows, and smaller.
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hachetfish tend to jump out of the tank. A few years ago I found some dead on the floor the next morning, but I didn't have my whole tank covered.
disasta
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.16(Thu)3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have some gouramis with my 2 angelfish,they get along well.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: