Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
a sump thing
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fish Addict
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)15:32    Post subject: a sump thing Reply with quote

okay so I know they hide the equipment and act like second tank, but how do you make one? I heard that you just make a hole in the main tank into a box with a tube going down to another tank on the bottom that has different sections for different kinds of bio balls and stuff then theres a tube that goes back up to the tank, but how does it go back up?
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fish Addict,

I am also currently about to make my first sump. I didn't understand them much either at first. I would recommend searching around this site in the DIY or Chemistry and Equipment sections and you'll find a good bit of information and ideas. I also found a lot of useful info from googling wet/dry and trickle filters. You'll find out all of the equipment that you would need like the pump to return the water from the sump to the aquarium.
Good Luck!
Hope this helps!
Fish Addict
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm just confused seeing I'm very young, and my dad won't help because he doesn't think I need to change my tank, even thought it's overstocked he thinks there all doing fine, and they grow to the tank size. I'll probably convince him if I start doing it and he sees I'm doing something wrong and he'll get mad if he can't help.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.14(Tue)0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish Addict,

I'm sorry to hear that your father won't help Shocked

How is your tank overstocked/ what do you have in there?

What size is your aquarium?

What do you have for filtration now?

Here's some links that also might help you understand wet/dry filters; what they are and how they work:
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/wetdry.htm
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/misc/choosingfilter1.html

I'm glad to see that you are taking a serious interest in the hobby at a young age. I am nearly 30 and I'm still learning about the hobby! I hope that you stay with it and don't be afraid to try new things.
Fish Addict
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.14(Tue)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 29g, columbian catfish/shark, bala shark, flying fox, golden algae eater, and 6 tiger barbs. I'm bringing them back and setting up a Sw tank. Aquaclear 30 is the filter. Thanks for the links.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: