Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Building your own tank stands
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.17(Fri)10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of fish do you plan to keep in the extra tank/tanks?

It's quite probably better to get another 55g, but I like the idea of having three tanks on one stand, if that's what your saying? Are they all the same height?
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.17(Fri)18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get 2 29 gallons, I'm just going to set them up as a basic community tank with smaller fish (tetras and the sort). My community tank that I have up right now is mostly gouramis and they are doing well in the 55 gallon. I also already have the 10 gallon set up with some thick lipped gouramis and x-ray tetras, but I'd like to move the gouramis to another tank, possibly the 2nd 29 gallon. Kind of a confusing description, sorry!

And yes, if I do go with 2 29 gallon tanks as opposed to 1 55 gallon, they would be the exact same size, and then the 10 gallon could/would sit on the top shelf of the stand.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.19(Sun)12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Very Happy

Quote:
and then the 10 gallon could/would sit on the top shelf of the stand.

If I understand you right. When the doors are closed you'll not be able to see the 10g, do you plan on cutting holes/openings in the doors or will there be no doors?
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.20(Mon)3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doors, unless I build a small cabinet underneath. It's a lot of thought more than anything, cause I have no layout idea yet, just a visual in my head of how I'd want it to look.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.20(Mon)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what you want, but now to get it Laughing
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.20(Mon)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscer wrote:
You know what you want, but now to get it Laughing

Exactly! I've still got a couple of months to figure it out before I move and need to set everything up.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.24(Fri)11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep use/me updated, I'd realy like to see your plans.
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.24(Fri)19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is what I am thinking I want to do after having checked out the sizes of 29 gallons and how they would fit perfectly into the setting I want.

Bottom Level - Cupboard area to hold the electric strip, air pumps, supplies, etc... Not a very big area, just large enough to house everything comfortably.

2nd Level - Open level (no front) for 29 gallon #1. I'm not exactly sure what set up I want for this one, but it will be some sort of community tank OR an aggressive tank for smaller cichlids or barbs. Since its only a 29, I don't want to go overboard if I get aggressive fish in there.

3rd Level - Open level (no front) for 29 gallon #2. I'd like to set this tank up for some dwarf gouramis, or something similar. Some brightly colored smaller tropical fish, preferably community.

4th Level - Open level (no front) for 10 gallon. I'd like to use this tank for a small tetra community, or something of that nature, just some small community fish that won't grow too big.

Thats how I'd like to set it up, as long as it isn't too tall. My other idea is to start out with my 55 gallon as the lowest level, then put 2 29 gallons above it, then the third level a cupboard on each side of a 10 gallon. But I thought that might be quite a bit of weight in one spot, so I don't know how well it would work.
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.24(Fri)19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a quick MS Paint drawing of both versions... (sorry about the small size, but it at least gets the point across)

Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.25(Sat)3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand #1: I think/know it is going to be easer to build, more practical design and it takes up less space.

Stand #2: Harder to build, looks go, but takes up a lot of space and it's not supported very well.

Well firstly, I feel your stands are to low, your first tank needs to be higher for safety reasons and to view it better. Stand one is safe to build, but in stand two you need more support, so the smallest tank should be at the bottom with the two 29gs a both that and the 55g right at the top. Do you want all the tanks in one stand? What is better height or with?

Just a simple design: Stand #2 improved. Only basic structure Spry= wood covered area

Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: