Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Building your own tank stands
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.08(Wed)15:54    Post subject: Building your own tank stands Reply with quote

Has anyone ever built their own stand for a 55 gallon tank? If so, how hard is it and what type of wood or other material would you recommend using? I need to come up with something new for my 55 gallon at home. Suggest away! Very Happy
AlainnIasg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.08(Wed)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother, who is quite handy with tools and wood building, is making me one for my 25 gal tank. There are DIY directions on About.com Here is one that we kind of took from, but she's basically doing it from her own imagination but with some guidance of looking at other stands and this site: http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/blank/bldiy2x4cabinetframe.htm Good luck!
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.08(Wed)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I'm sure the sizes and what not of the boards could be altered for a 55 gallon. I'll definitely keep that one in mind. Nice thing is, my grandfather owns a lumber company so getting any type of wood I need is easy, it's just deciding which would work best in the long run. Thanks again!
55Gallons
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.08(Wed)22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately not Partical board .. I see a lot of em like that - or the REAL basic 2x4 take downs.. Easy to put together and easy to take a part.. If you comeu p with your design you can build it .Heck if you want to cut some corners you can go to the lumber yard ( homedepot ) and buy 3 door packs that match -- that way you don't have to make your own doors. You can make it the way you want be creative - I would just make it really sturdy - Take a look at some of the stands at the LFS and note where bracing is and thickness of the materials are . build it so it has the room for everything you need- put a shelf in to the plan - most 55 gallon tank stands DON'T come with a shelf . Its nice to be able to use ALL the space for storage under your tank and not have lost space ! Just my 2 cents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
AlainnIasg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.09(Thu)8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom looked at a few stands in the petstores we went to last weekend and she noticed that all of them are using presurized wood. 2x4s, plywood, they all looked the same to me, but she said that that stuff is different because they are put together more tightly than the regular stuff you see, making it sturdier. Hope that helps.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you can get any wood Shocked... then skip plywood by far and get teak, mahogany, cherry wood or something in that line.
noobzie
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an uncle who built an aquarium stand (I think just out of 2x4 wood) The tank he put on was like a freaking 200 gallon tank or something. I jsut remembered that the aquarium was like 6 feet long and the self-made stand could handle it. But I'm not sure lol. Maybe this reply would help, maybe not. BTW, it has been standing up for more than 7 years
Jon_The_Newb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might take a quick look at this site as well, http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php.

Jon
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.15(Wed)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any plans that we could look at?
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.16(Thu)2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any plans as of yet, I've just been looking around at ideas. However, I've decided I'd like to build just a normal stand for a 55 gallon, nothing fancy, just something strong enough to support it 2 or 3 feet off the ground. I'm also trying to decide if I want to buy 2 29 gallon tanks and build a stand to hold them and a 10 gallon or just buy another 55 gallon and make 2 stands.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: