Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anyone every tryed breeding Bala sharks like this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes with out a single thought on that. I would do that all my stocks coming from three differnt breeders. I beleave the same thing. IMO thats why there is so much trouble with the GBR is breeding to brother and sister or even mother to son. To me that is the biggest down full to the private breeders. Not all of them don't get me wrong. but those that breed male female from the same fry. now you got a proplum.
Thats something I don't know why they'd do that you wouldn't mate your sister or your mother. So don't do it to your fish. RIGHT???
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.14(Tue)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie: Looking back my reply might have came across a little wrong.

I don't mean to discourage you from trying this little experiment(pun intended Wink ). If it succeeds and you observe you could add provide lots of information on this fish currently not known.

If you are able to find a market thats great!(but I bet a pair of balas would lay tons of eggs).

Some thoughts.

No idea on this one but I suspect that the place these come from their are dry and rainy seasons...most fish spawn during the rainy season. Trying to imitate the cycle could bring success. Someone bred clown loaches on accident using this method unintentionally(up and down temperature I believe)...and someone else claimed to have spawned Siamese algae eaters that way.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.14(Tue)4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thats the whole reason I sarted this post is to get others input on the pros and cons of breeding them. I was wanting any either thoughts or just comments on if it could work or not, I'll be the frist to say it. I have thought that I could be way of base on there breeding and completely miss there spawing ways. But then I thought there's something to this.
There has to be away to get them to spaw. When the indangered spices breeding program frist started there was several spices thought to not beable to breed in captivatie. But now over 95 % of all spices breed this way spaw offsprings year round. Take the pumpkinseed perch. When the PS was frist introduced to this breeding program. It was one of 100 spices and there was nothing on there spawing ways none.
Now it's one of the frist to spaw and the easyest of all the wild fish to spaw. Do totally to someone not listening to the normal and just going for it. Now I know thats not going to be my case. But you never know til you go for it. Also there is little knowen about the spawing ways of the Bala shark. But on the other hand there is a lot of info on there natural habbtat.
I feel that if I can get the pool set up to this habbtat or as close as I can get. Then maybe just maybe I can get a spaw from them. This could take more then just the short time I have to hit the mark. But hay at least I'll have a ton of info for my next go round and maybe I'll find the missing step to getting it right the next time. Now I've been talking with a lot of people who are in this breeding indangered spice club.
Thy have told me a way to stimulat the rain seaon with out going broke making it. I plan on useing misture tips. I'm going to set up 4 peices of 1/2 pvc pipe add the mistining tips open them wide enough to get a drop to fall on the surface of the wter. I'm not sure on how often I'm going to make it rain {once a week or twice or even three times a week } or for how long. On the changing of the water temp.About 1 to 2 hrs before I turn on the mistures I'm going to turn the heater off so that the water falling on the surface will change the water temp slowly.
One of the ladies told me she just sets her water sprakler to where when she waters her yard that some of the drops land in the pool. But she she one of the down falls is that it drops the water temp by 10 degres within 2hrs. and that maybe to quick a tempure drop for the Bala's. I don't now or even have a clue as to what a temp change like that would do for them. One things for sure thou it could help or it could hurt them. LOL
thalamus
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)4:40    Post subject: Always wanted to try this Reply with quote

I see your last post is 10 months old. I was wondering if you have anything new to post or just quit the project all together. I would also try a water change before the attempted spawning to see if that helps or not.

I wanted to to do the same thing with a 24ftx18ft pool in the back yard. Not with bala sharks in particular, but something along that line. Possibly I.D. sharks, just because everybody complains that peoples fish tanks just arn't big enough to hold them.

Couple reasons why I haven't.
1. The people that I live with would be really upset when they jumped into the pool this spring and saw all those big fish swimming around.
2. I live by Cleveland, Ohio and currently the outside temp is 35F. I would need a massive water heater and my own little nuclear power plant to power it. I could build a shelter for it, but if I'm going to have an indoor pool, screw the fish.
3. I would be worried about left over chlorine and other chemicals seeping out of the lining.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: