Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anyone every tryed breeding Bala sharks like this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.08(Wed)5:32    Post subject: Anyone every tryed breeding Bala sharks like this? Reply with quote

First off I'm wanting to try breeding bala sharks out doors. I had a female bala shark build like a nest in one of my tanks and stay in this for over week. Well come to find out some on here told me thay didn't do the nest thing. I had no clue what was going on with her. But anyway thats totally a differnt storie there. LOL
I have a patio on the back of my house and it has sunlight off and on all day. with loads of shade from trees so the water temps want be jumping high and low hardly any. Plus there's windows I can just unscrew to put them off or on in the winter time or summer as needed.
I've been reading up on people using wading pools 2ft. deep x 12 ft to 14ft around to breed indangered fish like the pumkin seed perch or the blue gill perch and even using a stock tank for cattle or horses. Thats 2 1/2 to 3 ft deep by 16ft around.
I'm going to use a wading pool 2ft deep by 14ft round. I'm going to use two canster xp3 440gph and 4 filter medias. With a fine gravel and plants {low light and even pond plants. Also a few other goodies to keep the water at a good clean level and allow some algee to grow for the fry{ if I get any LOL}. Plus I'm going to add two over head 4 tube florsant lights 50w 6500k for added lighten with a blue prouch light to simulat moon lighten when the moons in the norther himasphear and want shine into the pool.
has anyone every tryed this and could give me some pointers or anything the mit help me with this?

I know it's a long shot or a shot in the dark. But I've been reading up and the main reason they don't or can't breed incaptivaty is not enought area to get going fast enought to spaw. I'm hoping to change that. I'm hoping that by getting them this amount of area and adding 30 to 40 of them to the pool they'll prove me and others wrong.
I have a small under watervideo camra and I'm going to buy another and place them in parts of the pool where there behaver can be chought on film. plus they will be pluged in and running with a protective cover on it so I'm not having to worrie about the batterie getting mosture to it and causing something to kill them or recharge the batterie a lot.
It will record for 24hr via a vcr being hooked to it. Now a lot of you are thanking{ I'll be the frist to say it to are you nuts } I don't thank it's amatter of that. I thank it's just wanting to know the when,where and how they do in this type of envierment and to see if it can be done. Plus I thank it'd be cool to witness how they do breed for my self.
I'm not going to do this til the spring time gets here, I'm just wanting some input on this. To see if ya'll thank it'll work or not. Even Ideals on another way to do the set-up. So let the ideals begein.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.11(Sat)3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it nobody thanks this will work. Or nobodys tryed this before???

I started the setting up for this yesterday. I dug a whole the ruffly the size of the pool I'm going to be using. I leveled the spot up using a lazer level { Done the leveling from 12 differnt point on the ground to insure the spot to be a compeled curical and complely flat. I'm then going to run all my plumming { power line for filters,piping for water and out flowing water ,over flow lines to allow rain water or the water if it get to full to run away from the pool so as not to run back under the pool causeing more damage then good to the area,in flow for the filters } I'm then going to place 7 to 9 inches of play ground sand in the whole and pack it down using a rented dirt packer usd in house foundations and plumming work. { the small one as the big one would damage the lines }
I'm then going to do the same thing and use the lazer level and run a 34 point leveling diagram I found on the national indangered fish keepers site. I will then run my water lines to and from the house and hook up a 6-plug base to power everything.

Thats where I'll be by the end of the weekend. So I'm going for huh? LOL I've already taking butt loads of pics if anyone would like to see them.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.12(Sun)15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are seldom bred in captivity by hobbyists and chances are you are the only one trying. One question would be why? It would be interesting but it would be almost impossible to find homes for the resulting fish.

Farmers probably inject hormones to get these fish to lay eggs.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.12(Sun)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your effort and determination. I would definitely not have the time nor money to even think about trying something like this. I also have my own oppinions of what will happen. Obviously I don't think it will work, but ya know, it's worth a try right? I think if you go through that much work and effort you should at least get something. Also, if it doesn't work you'll still have a huge pool of Bala Sharks that will (if all is well) grow to full size and be really fun to watch.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to why? I want to try and breed something that nobody has gotten to breed in captivtie. I'm not saying I'll be the frist but at least. I'll have done it. Then as far as getting rid of them if they do breed. What make you thank I can't get rid of them. There is still a demanded for them. Any lfs will take them. If not pay for them in store credit will work.
The Bala shark is almost indangered in the wild and close to being on the red list so sooner or later there's going to have to be a breeding program for them. If not to help with wild stock then to help with out others out there who wants o try and breed a indangered spices.
Now don't get me wrong there not indangered now. I'm not saying there going on the list tomorrow.. But if there's not a breeding program in place soon it could be on the list before we know it. Yes there are fish farmers out there breeding them also. but whos to say I can't try it.
And I'mjust the oppeset of you. I beleave I can do it.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't think anyone here is qualified to make even an educated guess on whether it'll work or not, so in the spirit of something for which you have the resources, the will and time, and where the final result doesn't seem to be as important as the experience and satisfaction you'll gather upon realizing the project, I say why not...go for it. And keep us posted Wink

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS Marcos, you know thats what I've been trying to get across. It's not if they bred or not. To me it's a learning thing. For if this dosn't work. Thn I'll have learned what did and what didn't so that on the next try. I'll know not to do that. I beleave it will work for the simple fact. That in a home tank there's always something to get in the way either of there site,banging on the floor,no space,people looking in at them.
There's always something. So I have abuddie who hooks up under water camras and he has afford to loan me 3 to use in the pool and run a 24hr record on them. I figured this way I'll beable to see frist hand and up close what's going on. If anything. I'll beable to see what in the set up may help or don't work. So either way I will learn something from this that will either help others or help me in my next atemped at this. If another atemped is even nee. But I will get them to breed and do it a way. to learn from it.
Again Thanks Marcos and to all who replied. I'll take any and every input either to help or just some good old advice.
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some pics of the setup on hear and maybe update it as you go along?

My suggestion would be that if breeding is successful to remember to add in new stock every once in a while to keep some fresh genes in the pool Wink
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get no pictures of the seting the pool up but hav gotten some of the set-up it's self. I'll get them posted just as soon as my camra gets bak from Vagas. My wife went to Vagas with her sister and there goes my money and camra. LOL On adding the freash stock. Now I know This is going to sound stupid after all I;m doing and the set up. But Why would adding freash stock to the tank be neede?

Wouldn't that interfear with the mate picking or pairs that have already formed?

it's my under standing that keeping the fish that have been intorduced to this set up at the same #'s or close to the it will help introduce a sents of sercurite among the group?

To many introduction of new fish would throw off the balance in the group and elimate any pairs that mit have formed. Don't you thank?

I don't want it to sound like I'm stupid here. { to late right } LOL j/k But I asumed that giving the fish a stable commuitey and not upsetting that balance would only help to give them the scents of being in the wild. Are is that off base?
Once the fear of people being seen or heard throw the foot steps in the tank would only be a plus and adding new sock to me would throw that balance off. I had planed on replacing the stock after awhile if no breeding or activatie of spawing was seen. See it's my beleave that as little if any contact with me is ony going to help.
I know there will have to some nomater what. But I'm trying to get it set-up for water less changing. By this I mean I want have to chnge the water in the pool the pool filter will turn 675gph plus the 4 stage bactia filters in the pump and he two 3 stage filters on the side will also allow for a lot les mantains on the water. { hopfully if I got this planed right } .
Are do you thank I'd need to add new stock on a gerular bases?
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.02.13(Mon)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm meaning is that if you have all of your stock from one source they will most likely be from the same batch of fry and any subsequent spawns would be inbred fish. I'm personally of the opinion that inbreeding in animals is to be discouraged although some people would disagree with that. To start out with if you get your stock from more than one retailer (who don't get their fish from the same supplier) then youre initial fish won't be brothers and sisters if you get my meaning.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: