Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY 360 gal. Plywood Aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.21(Fri)21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ciklido. I wouldn't say "perfect" though! Laughing This is the first stand that I've ever made this large before and there were a lot of good lessons learned.

I understand that from the photo's, it's hard to tell the size of it all. It's actually about 8 1/2 feet long, 36 inches tall, and about 3 1/2 feet wide. Being a two-dimensional photo, I understand that the eye mainly relies on monocular cues. Refer to retinal image size I.e. know size of objects and terrestrial associations. In a couple of pictures you can see some chairs in the background and a door in another. Try to associate and/or compare those sizes together.

As far as the tank, it actually on there! In the last couple of pictures the tank is sitting on top. Yes, it has three supports running verticle (there's latex gloves on the ends of them). Those are only there to prevent the center of the top rail from bowing. They will be removed once the glass and top braces have been installed. It's quite ugly though, huh?! That is actually what this thread is mainly about; the construction of the plywood tank. However, I've found along the way that for something this large, pretty much everything has to be custom made to accomodate it! I just included these additionaly items as I thought people would be interested.
Gunnage.
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.24(Mon)4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post more pictures Very Happy

This is probably the best DIY Aquarium I've ever seen....

Please post pics when it is stocked, or when it is being filled with water, when the ornaments are in or of the tank at anytime, just want to see more pictures Very Happy

Thanks

~Bala~

Working on a banner Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.24(Mon)14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, the glass arrived today but, the middleman told me that the wholesaler had cut it all wrong. He said he wouldn't feel right trying to sell me something like that. I appreciate his efforts and honesty.

Well, I guess I'll just keep working on the stand! I've been adding moulding aroound it lately and for something that looks so simple to do, it's kicking my butt! It's a lot of cutting and if you get in a hurry, I guarantee that you'll cut one end at the wrong angle Embarassed

It's all just "loosely" tacked on there right now and some corners need to be pushed together more. For your viewing pleasure:

As you can see, the moulding is not done, I still have to putty over holes, sand, put the doors on, and paint. So, there's plenty to keep me busy!
dylan sav
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.24(Mon)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

that has to be the best looking aquarium I've ever seen Smile

You have any idea what kind of fish you're going to have in there?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.02(Tue)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

African Cichlids, if I remember correctly Wink
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.02(Tue)22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, thanks for the patience.

For now, yes cichlids will be put in there. Since I also enjoy fishing, a few friends and I one night were half joking/half serious about "stocking" it with maybe a few crappie Laughing sitting on the couch and casting. Hey, maybe the wife won't get so mad about me spending too much time at the lake!

Finally, the glass arrived this past weekend and I was able to install it. It was quite a simple process really, but with limited assistance, I didn't get pictures of the actual installing process. Ulike acrylic, silicone will adhere well to the glass and epoxy paint. So, I picked up about 4 tubes of GE I Widows and Doors from Walyworld. I laid about oh, 1/2" wide bead all the way around the wood where the glass would go and it only took 2 tubes. Next, set the glass glass inside using good crew coordination. Pressed it up against the silicone, laid the tank "face" down, and installed braces to help push out the air-pockets.

However, I won't leave you hanging! Here are some pictures of it being filled the other day. I did it on the ground first to ensure there were no leaks or other problems. The stand is also almost finished. Trim, doors and misc. stuff is all done and I've began applying the primer now.

When the glass was installed, the tank was actually laid face down so all the weight was pushing on the silicone. Here, it's tipped upright and the braces are about to be reomoved

A better look at all of the braces

Starting to do a test fill

About half-way there

And, the moment of truth. It's completely filled

It's holding as I hoped for about three days now it's been sitting full. Soon, I will drain it, place it on top of the stand, and give both a final coating of black paint.

More to come...

Last edited by blackjack06 on 2006.05.04(Thu)21:57; edited 1 time in total
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.05.03(Wed)8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks fabulous! Very nice work.
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.04(Thu)19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked WOW! Shocked

I'm impressed.....can't wait to see it on the finished stand, full of fish!
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.10(Wed)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the moment you've been waiting for...

I finished the stand finally and put a coats of "Earth black" color paint on the everything after it was primed.

Although I used the sand from my other existing tanks, it took an additional 3 bags for a total of about 10 bags of sand. The rocks are all real and the plants are I believe Vallisneria Americana.

I still need to make the canopy, but this is with only the 10k power compacts on.

This is with the power compacts and the metal halide.

A long view from the left.

And, a panoramic view that I stitched together.

It's hard to get a feel for how large this is from the pictures alone. Perhaps I can get a picture up of someone standing next to it. The fish seem to love it. There's almost a completely different behavior now. It's hard to believe that it's finally together. Thanks for all of the interest!
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.10(Wed)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very very nice... I wish I had the time/skill/paitence to do a peice of work that nice
20 gallon coustom headboard tank planted
125g Planted/Discus (group tank)
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: