Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY 360 gal. Plywood Aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do the tempered glass in the front like you wanted, and have a second layer of plexiglass or acrylic behind it. It will increase the strength and will probably eliminate the need for a support on the front. That is if you are willing to spend the money and it seems practical to you.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.13(Thu)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used up my last "get out of jail free" card tonight. My wife almost wouldn't let me in the house! $345 for the lumber to make the stand! Does the owner of Lowes sleep on a bed of Ben Franklins?
Ande
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lmao Oh and that Forum link you recommend with that tank its was so funny because one of the posters made a 750g tank and Then his parents and sisters wanted to move And the tank could fit through any doors and The New People moving in didn
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey it happens! It's easy to get wrapped up and so involved in what you're doing that you forget your situational awareness.

I realized this cold, hard, truth also whilst constructing the stand. In order to get the stand through the largest doorway, I have to disassemble it, move it section by section, and then reassemble it once it's where I would want it. However, I am thinking about keeping the whole set up outside now; underneath the awning on my lanai.

I'll try to get some new pictures up tomorrow of the stand. I set the tank on top of it today and that original feeling of excitement came back instantly!
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.18(Tue)19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple pics of the stand. Remember, it's a work in progress! The tank is on there becuase I just had to see what it'll look like.

By the way, I don't plan on posting an article on how to build this stand. There are plenty of good plans on the net. I deviated slightly from GARF's recommendations by using 4X4's for the uprights, metal joist brackets at right angles, and some additional cosmetic stuff. If you do have questions though, don't hesitate to ask and I will try to explain.

Two lag bolts were used to secure the post to the frame at each end,

Here's the metal brackets used in the corners. On the middle post, the lag bolts were inserted one through the frame and one through the cross-beam. However, this is a corner pic and the bolts are on the outter frame. The screw is there just for extra sturdiness,

One end completed,

Three of the five columns of posts. There is a total of fifteen post, five rows by columns of three,

Bottom frame lower cabinet base done and starting on top frame,

Starting on the partitions for the individual cabinet spaces,

This is the cabinet for the filter. I'm not finished yet, but the blue stuff is for soundproofing. This is just the bottom layer and somewhat small pyramid like shapes will also be added (supposably it helps to deaden the sound),

Obviously the front and you can see where the filter will be,

And this is with the front panels on. Openings for the doors still have to be cut, doors have to be installed, and the moulding has to be tacked on.

Like I said, it's a work in progress. A lot still has to be done construction wise and cosmetically, but I'm making head-way!
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.19(Wed)12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Blackjack, but what are you gonig to do witha all that cabinet spaces? Very Happy
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.19(Wed)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

No huge plans at the moment. Probably just odds and ends, supplies plus, I'll probably put a "small" Wink hospital tank in there. or something like that.

There's so much space because it's so big. I didn't just say "let me build a stand with a lot of space!"
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.04.19(Wed)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good blackjack!
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.21(Fri)13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dale! It would be nicer if the glass company would hold up their end of the bargain! So they say, on two of the trucks it was suppose to have been on, it broke. On the third shippment (04/20/06), they somehow just "forgot" to put it on there! Two weeks I've been waiting and still, it won't be here till- they say next monday.

I'm an on-time-person. If you tell me you'll have or do something at a certain time, I'm going to hold you to that. I would only expect you to do the same with me. Am I being unfair?
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.21(Fri)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wwow good plans...The reinforcements are very much a must. The wooden sticks at the front are temporary right? yeah well its looking good...also if the wooden stand is able to be lifted up you can place a custom cut carpet to reduce even more stress on the size and will make anything imperfect(although teher wouldn't be much sinve its almost perfect) and stable all weight. Is the tank going also to be made custom to that size or will you buy an already built tank, the filter system looks very good, good planning skills and technical system.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: