Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY 360 gal. Plywood Aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.18(Sat)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow looks very nice I now I havn't talked here before but I must! compliment , very nice looking,,! Cool
fotbr
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.19(Sun)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice.

Did I miss it, or did you not mention the dimensions of the tank? (Apologies if you listed them and I just didn't see them)

In any case, I kinda like the not-so-smooth paint look, and theh glossiness (at least on the inside of the tank) will probably be less noticeable when full of water. Of course, with your lights it might not.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.19(Sun)22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

You know, I don't think that I ever did post it in this topic. Embarassed

99.5"L X 39.5"W X 25"H are the final outer measurements. The inner measurements come out to around 94.5" X 34.5" X 25". Multiply that by .004329 and it equals about 353 gallons (thus, a 360 gallon tank). Now with the volume of water that the sump will hold as well, it will prabably be around 390 gallons total volume for the system.

I don't really mind the uneven texture of the paint so much. The more I think about it, I really don't want it as flat as glass anyways. I've started to sand in between the final coats and it's smoothed it out a little bit and really is looking nice. When I get it completely finished (painted) I'll post some more pics.

I've done some dry fitting of the plumbing and hardware and it was then, that it sunk into my head how big 1.5" pvc pipe really is! Wow!
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.21(Tue)0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked . Looks great. Can you build one for me too after your done with that one? : Razz . Please Smile
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.27(Mon)0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to build this one for myself! Thank you though!

I've finished the epoxy painting and begun assemblying the plumbing. I went a step further and painted the pvc pipe on the inside to help try and keep the focus off of the equipment. I don't like the sight of bright, white, pvc pipe inside of the aquarium.

Here is the three overflows. 90 degree elbows on the bulkhead with about 2" of pvc pipe (unpainted) that I will cut lines in to help adjust the water height.

A close up.

Completely painted.

This is the outside/otherside. I put this fitting on there in case in time I change my mind about the overflow and want to convert it using a durso type application. I can drill the hole in the top cap if I need too and "flip" the overflow to face downward.

And a top view of both the inside and out.

I will be ordering the glass this week and installing it on saturday. More to come...
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.29(Wed)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 1.5'' pipe is quite big, but rather too big than too small, considering your water volume.

It
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.29(Wed)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sump I will be using a combination of rubbermaid containers to hold some media and for different filtering processes. I will post its construction as well when I get to it.

I went to order the glass today and I was faced with the question of regular plate glass or tempered glass. I won't be be drilling in it so, does anyone see why I shouldn't go with the tempered since it is stronger?

Also, the glass shop did recommend using the tempered. The sales rep. mentioned that with that much pressure, both types will probably just give way if a serious crack or chip developed.
dgaddis1
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.30(Thu)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definetly go with the tempered. It's not just stronger (meaning it can handle more stress/pressure), but it's also has a harder surface, so it's much less likely to chip or crack when compared to non-tempered glass.

Only advantage of the non-tempered is price. I'm not sure about prices for either, but I'm sure tempered is expensive.

But, if you save a few dollars by not buying the tempered, and then it explodes, it would suck. Besides, as much hard work as you've put into it, might as well go all out, especially with such a critical componet.

BTW - the tank is looking awesome! and thanks for keeping us all updated w/new pics, and good luck!
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.02(Sun)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get asked a lot "how are you going to filter it?" The usual response is wet/dry. However, I don't think people understood how large it was going to be! Wink It is quite tall really. It comes up to about 2.5-3 ft.

I was going to put all of the pictures and explanation of the sump here but, after much thought, I think more people would benefit from it if I gave it it's own DIY Wet/Dry Filter topic.

However, I have to post some pictures here!

Just some common containers from WalMart,

Put together with some 1/2" PVC pipe and silicone,

Completely assembled,

Not counting the sump, there are three containers stacked on top of one another. The top is the drip plate with some blue poly for mechanical filtration, the second or middle container is a 22 gallon tub that will hold bio-balls, below that is the third container the same size as the top one, which will hold probably some carbon between two layers of thin poly. Then, the water falls into the sump where it will be partitioned off with lava rock submerged on one side and the pump on the other.

The lid has three 1 1/2" bulkheads that will drain from the tank and there is also DIY 1" bulkhead in the sump where the pump will be.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it would be really super-duper great if people could deliver when the tell you they will... It looks like I still won't be getting my glass until next monday Sad

So anyways, to keep you all entertained... Here's some additional pics. Besides, I like pictures!

Here's the return into the tank

A little clearer picture of the three overflow plumbing. I am going to try vinyl tubing instead of using PVC all the way to the sump. It just seemed like a cool thing to try

Here's another view of the front. I have to put another coat of black on the front. I know, it looks silly blue and black! The stick in the middle... yeah, the top has started to bow about 1/2" down Mad

The top braces will be pushing ever-so-much on the top of the glass now when it's installed. I don't know if this will affect the glass at all by putting pressure points on it or if it could actually help hold the glass in place. Question I am really not liking the thought of possibly having to put a brace in the center.

I'm starting on the stand this weekend while waiting for the glass. I don't want to go over 30" high. So, I will be building another "box" to hide the filter since it's frickin' 32" tall! That's my luck Laughing My left arm seems to be going numb and my chest is tight for some reason?! Ahhh... I'm going to bed.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: