Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY 360 gal. Plywood Aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.03(Fri)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, that makes sense! I'll be using three 1 1/2" bulkheads on the side and a mag drive 24 pump on the other end for the return with about 4-5' of head hieght.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.03(Fri)10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've always used 5cm/50mm pipe + bulkhead, but three 3.8cm's should be fine.

The way your intake is currently positioned (facing upwards) it will probably suck/over flow in air and water which could (not necessarily) cause a bit of noise. If you turn it so as to face down wards it will most probably suck up only water (depending on amount of water it will be taking), so in theory a constant stream of water = no gurgle.

Quote:
the water will flow to fast at a point to where it does begin to gurgle.

This applies to your design, if your flow is to strong (like when you pull the plug in the bath, tornado forms, causes gurgle).
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.03(Fri)23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, the fiberglassing is done!!! It's been done now for about 2 1/2 days now and I'm sure this would have been much easier, clearner, and probably looked a little nicer had I been a professional! I've never worked with fiberglass before and learning curve was quite steep; patience is a must. The first layer I had the most difficulty, after that, it went pretty smooth with usually very little to eventually no bubbles between layers.

The epoxy paint should be hear next week and I'll probably wait till the weekend to start applying the paint. That'll give the fiberglass and resin time to fully cure, if the weather continues to cooperate. Meanwhile, I will be attempting to get all of the major plumbing done and finish the diy sump.

This is just after laying the fourth and final layer of glass

This shows the glass and resin set after a couple of days and also, some of the additional framing that I added. 2"X4"s on the sides and back and 2"X2" on the front pane. I also fiberglassed the crossbraces, which aren't on it right now

Last edited by blackjack06 on 2006.03.18(Sat)1:34; edited 3 times in total
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.04(Sat)3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Are you using glass or acrylic for the front?

I read that you plan on putting in a closed system for some extra bio filtration; what
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.04(Sat)21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original plans were to use 3/8" glass. However, now I think that I'll be using 1/2" glass.

I do plan on using an addiontal closed system(s). I am planning to use two mag drive 5 pumps with basic 1/2" pvc pipe. I'll have at least 5 jets per pump and for the jet placement, that's still to be precisely determined. Although, I do have an idea or two as to where I think they will be and hopefully they will be concealed behind rocks. There will probably be a few towards the middle center to also help keep debris from settling there as well.

I did a small test/configuration in one of my 55 gal with just a powerhead and it seems to work like I wanted it too.

As for the upward facing overflow, I did it that way because I want to be able to drain the top of the water also to remove any kind of oils or any other kind of byproducts scum. On the the elbow, I've thought about inserting 1.5" pipe (upwards), cutting "slots" vertically in it, and placing a sponge down into that. Does that make any sense?! I could see where that will make a bit of sound though. That would also allow me to be able to adjust the height of the water. In addition, I want to use flex tubing on both the output and return sides, I don't know if that will help with any gurgling though.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.07(Tue)10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.08(Wed)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, I hope it works out for you. Let me know how successful it is!

Without a lot of plants in the tank, I don't forsee much large debris clogging up the sponges and yes, there will be three of them. Of course, I'll perform regular maintenance and try to keep the sponges as free-flowing as possible.

The epoxy paint arrived this week and this weekend I plan on painting/sealing it. I'll post some pictures when I get there!
dgaddis1
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.08(Wed)22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjack - this tank is coming together nicely! Keep us updated as it's really cool to see the project coming together. Once I get out of college I want to get a BIG tank (probably 210G) for a few oscars and construct my own stand. Partly because I can make it look the way I want, and it'll be fun to build, but mostly cause store bought stands look like they'll collapse.

Also, your pics aren't showing up anymore for some reason.

Good luck with your tank!
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.16(Thu)1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sorry it's taken so long for an update. But so far, I'm still painting with the epoxy. I've painted four coats of the dark blue on the inside and two of the black on the exterior. I've been applying the coats around every 6-8 hours and a little longer sometimes at night for obvious reasons, but remaining within the 24 hour recoat period.

It's only taken 1 gallon for four coats of blue and only maybe 1/2 gallon of the black. With the remaining 1 gallon of blue and 1/2 gallon of black, I plan on using all of it as well. However, I'm allowing the fourth coat to cure for 72 hours and will sand it down to a smoother finish. Then I will proceed from there with sanding in between each coat. The rest of the black will be for the inside of the canopy.

Also, the 1 1/2" bulkheads have arrived and I've cut the holes and begun assemblying some of the plumbing (except for fitting it on the tank). I will take and attach some pictures just as soon as I can.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.18(Sat)1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here are a few pictures of it with some paint. The picture of the exterior (black) shows where I've began to sand it down for the final layers. It's a pretty high gloss paint and at first I wasn't to thrilled with that aspect, but it's now starting to grow on me.

The paint job doesn't look nice and smooth and that's okay. The first several layers I was just trying to get it built-up. Now I am in the process of sanding between the final few layers and it's giving a smooth clean finish. And yes, I'll post some of those too!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: