Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY 360 gal. Plywood Aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.19(Sun)23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks guys.

My metal halide has glass shield but my power compacts do not. I've actually yet to build the canopy for this aquarium. I'll probably start while the fiberglass cures. However, I will be applying a couple coats of left over epoxy paint to the inside of it as well. I would like too, use some thin mylar; the epoxy to add the waterproof barrier and the mylar for good reflection.

You know, I think the FW refugium is a wonderful idea and wouldn't mind setting something like that up one day. However for now, I already have a DIY wet/dry sump that I'm trying to piece together. I will probably put something in the bottom partition like java moss or maybe even some ghost shrimp, but it's nothing "show" worthy.

And you're right about the Cichlids. Keeping with the Malawi biotope, I don't have many plants even now. I do have some Vallisneria and some Hornwort in my tanks, but that's it. I do have a LARGE beautiful piece of driftwood though that I don't think I can pass up putting it in there!

I do appreciate the thoughts and ideas; they help. I have been trying to figure out where to place the pumps for easy access and at least somewhat concealed as well. When you say get the W shape not the U, are you talking about the kind with one part in the tank and one part outside connected by a siphon tube? Send me a link to what you're describing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to rock, real or fake? And if I do go with the "real", do you think that I should use eggcrate or styroam on the bottom?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.21(Tue)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, personal I'd say yes, you should put Plexiglass or acrylic between the water surface and the lights. It just gives more protection to the lights, so less corrosion. Metal halide, quite impressive; I don't know of many people that have those for there planted tanks, never mind African Cichlid tanks.

Quote:
I will probably put something in the bottom partition like java moss or maybe even some ghost shrimp, but it's nothing "show" worthy.

That still counts. In the long run you'll still have less Nitrate (NO3-), not that that
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! I got the fiberglass and resin this evening and I've begun cutting the sheets to size. Unfortunately it's too late to try and start, but tomorrow I'll be busy.

I only have one metal halide that's on one of my tanks and it's only 150W 20K. I wanted that shimmer that's seen in nature and it works quite nice. I doubt however, that it serves little to no benefit for my setup. I would like to keep that look and will end up probably having to buy about two more for this long of an aquarium. That's something for the future though $$$..

That's the same design of overflow that I am going to be using. However, I think that I will try to incorporate a Durso style stand pipe in the overflow sump rather than the "stock" pipe. I hear they're much more quiet.

I'll attach some more pics as soon as I can.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.24(Fri)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have difficulty understanding your design/plan, of how your overflow is going to work. Are you us the drilled corner box type?

Pics would be good.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.26(Sun)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long. I've been busy with the fiberglass and adding additional frame work around it.

I'm thinking of using about two of this type of overflow which simply "hangs" on the sides or back. The only problem now is with the additional framing around the tank, I don't know if this will fit anymore.

I have thought about drilling the tank and using bulkheads and I've been to all the local hardware stores, played with the plumbing parts, but I can't find any with long enough threads to make a good bulkhead. Also, I'm not to fond of the idea of drilling into the bottom of the tank; my comfort level is not there yet! And then, if I do drill in the sides, I don't know how to keep the noise of the waterflow to a minimum.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.01(Wed)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people put in stand pipes or fill it with filter wool to keep noise level low, both work find in my IMO.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.01(Wed)23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to put the bulkhead near the top to avoid having to drill through the bottom. Here's a quick and dirty drawing of an idea that I've had. Has anyone seen or tied something like this with any luck or could provide some feedback with suggestions?

You'll have to click on the picture to get the blown-up image. Sort of like durso with an end cap with a hole, in a T-fitting, but outside of the tank and the intake elbow inverted upwards. I could perhaps fit a sponge over it to prefiler or block the fish.

Last edited by blackjack06 on 2006.03.18(Sat)1:27; edited 2 times in total
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.02(Thu)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

I've never seen it don like this. The ones I've seen have the hole drilled lower, and adjust the water level behind the tank by adjusting the pipe height, so no air is suck in = no noise, but yours looks to be just as practical.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.02(Thu)22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with the hole as in the Durso and Stockman standpipes, is to let some air in as to not create a complete siphon. I guess if a full siphon is created, the water will flow to fast at a point to where it does begin to gurgle.

This will be the first time that I've ever used a sump application and also bulkheads, or any other sort of plumbing. So, I'm basically just following some adice that I've read here and there. Unfortunately, I don't have anything that I could do a practice run with.

Does an output, with no hole for air, full siphon make that much noise or the gurgling that I read so much about?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.03(Fri)8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, personally I don't think it's that bad. But full siphon is bad; you want the water to "over flow" not siphon. How big is your pipe/tubing?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: