Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish companions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Blazer
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.05(Sun)12:39    Post subject: Goldfish companions Reply with quote

Hi! I have a Black Moor and a Red Cap Oranda that are both a little over an inch long in my 20 gallon, and I was wondering if there were any other species I could add to the tank that wouldn't bother them. My friends think it's crazy to have such a big tank and two wee little fish, but I assure them it's they'll eventually need much more space, lol!
Gaza
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.05(Sun)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

white cloud moutin minnows or chinese hilstrem loach
thats all I can think of Razz
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.05(Sun)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pleco987, but it realy depends what you want. If you have space for a 200L tank then get another gold fish just deferent type. Guppies could also be an option.
Devs
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.10(Fri)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Truthfully, your fish probably do look awful tiny in your tank right now,but with good food and pristene water,you'll be surprised at just how fast these guys can grow. If you really feel the need to add something,you can try a Bristle nose /Rubberlip Pleco.They're a great fish for a Goldie tank.You could also try a pair of Dojo Weather Loaches.They can get up to 8 inches long though mine have never grew that big. Your tank is perfect right now with what you have,but if you test & do weekly water changes,and have proper filtration-you can get away with adding someone. Smile
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.10(Fri)4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goldfish used to love eating white cloud minnows so I'd add them as feeder fish every so often. Not too sure if theyre the best addition with larger faster goldfish(mine were comets) but black moors and orandas I would think are too slow to catch them so they may be ideal tankmates for your goldies.
asgeem
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.10(Fri)17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several tank mates for your goldfish. Zebra danios, dwarf gourami, pearl gourami, bala shark, corydoras species, bushymouth catfish. And you can also add apple snails...
Blair
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.10(Fri)19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And you can also add apple snails...

If you go decide to buy apple snails for a coldwater tank, you have to ask at the shop if it is coming from a tropical tank. If it is, before you put the snail in the main tank, you have to slowly convert it to coldwater, or else it will die because of the temperature change. Try this link if your going to ge an apple snail:
www.applesnail.net
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.10(Fri)23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also add some kois if u want Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.11(Sat)0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

No noobzie, he cannot add Koi, at least not if he wants to respect them as a true pet and care for them properly. A 20 G would be ridiculously small for Koi, and so is the 50G you mention in your signature. I would strongly suggest that you read up on the species you're keeping, before giving out poor advice like that again on this board. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_carp.php

asgeem's recommendations are also highly questionable, especially the bala shark since a 20G is also ridiculously small for this species. And all the other fish are tropical, softwater species...it doesn't seem like compatibility was taken into account at all in those recommendations.

Both of you need to carefully read up on the species you're recommending, and also read up on this board's philosophy towards fishkeeping, to decide whether your personal attitude towards the hobby is compatible with ours:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1202

Blazer: congratulations on your understanding and foresight, knowing that despite the fact your tank looks empty now with such young Goldfish, they will soon grow and may even become a little cramped in there, I know how hard it is to deal with non-fishkeeper or fish-haver friends who don't understand why you don't just fill up the tank with a ton of fish. Confused

If you do have your mind set on eventually upgrading your tank size, then I will second the recommendation already given above to add a pair of Dojo Loaches. They're coldwater fish, totally compatible with Goldfish preferences and COMPLETELY harmless creatures, not to mention that they totally compensate their bland looks with an amazingly fun and friendly character. With your fancy goldfish already supplying the good looks part of your setup, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the Dojo antics...read more here:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_dojo.php

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Devs
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.11(Sat)5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Bland Looks?????? Well I never!!! Laughing Actually,I happen to think that all my Loaches are quite the adorable ones, Laughing I have golden Dojo's with Brown splattered brown spots on them,and I'm amazed at how different each regular Dojo looks compared to the other's. I also agree with Marco on their antics.When I sit and watch the tanks,and I see the Dojo's chasing my big Black Moor Mambo,and tyring to get her food,they crack me up.They do love to tase and play with the goldies. Laughing
I also agree about NOT having Koi-they need hundreds and hundreds of gallons of water.
The Bala Sharks are tropical.They like to school in groups.They get upto a foot big and also need a huge fish tank because of their size-the way that they school,and the speed in which they swim.
As mentioned,please do your homework before offering advice because it could be costly to some poor fish. Crying or Very sad
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: