Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
12" redfinned shark for sale
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nas180
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.31(Tue)3:56    Post subject: 12" redfinned shark for sale Reply with quote

first I'm in IOWA usa zip 52203 <--for shipping
well I was told at my local petstore that its a redfinned shark I have never heard of them getting this big! its aprox 17" long very healthy not very active at all really good with other fish even the small guppies my koi is more agressive. the reason I want to get rid of him is he's just too big for my tank and I'm planning on planting my 55gal and my other tank is a 30 gal and thats way too small for him/her!!! so if your interested make a offer I just don't want to kill him/her and my local petstore won't take him/her back. and petco said they don't have any tanks big enough for him/her.
not sure how to ship a fish but if you know I would be willing to try it but buyer will have to pay shipping
here is a pic

Last edited by nas180 on 2006.02.01(Wed)12:08; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.31(Tue)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common name Redfinned Shark normally refers to Epalzeorhynchos frenatum but that's definitely not the species you have. It's hard to tell from that picture what species it is though, see if you can get some more pics showing the fish sideways...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Livebearer101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.31(Tue)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that REALLY is a red fin id be amazed, they only grow to like 4" on average..
Livebearer101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.31(Tue)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

having looked at it again, this has got to be fraud, there is NO WAY that is 17"

the only way id believe is if you did a shot of the whole tank to show it in comparison.
nas180
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.01(Wed)2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I figured you all wouldnt believe me but I'm no liar! here is the pics the koi in the first pic is about 6" long but just for you non believers here is some cleaner pics. honestly I have no idea what kind of shark this is I have never seen a freshwater shark this big, I paid $50 for him.
THIS IS HIM IN MY 55 GALLON TANK

if your wondering why the tank is so bare I'm in the process of planting it but first I have to find a home for the shark.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.01(Wed)3:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

nas180 wrote:
yeah I figured you all wouldnt believe me but I'm no liar!

Noone is accusing you of being a liar, but you're definitely mistaken in your estimation of the fish's size. A 55G tank is 4 ft. long, therefore 48". If your fish were 17" long he'd be 1/3 the length of the tank, which is clearly not the case. From the picture below he's more like 1/5 the tank length, therefore a more realistic estimation is 10".
nas180 wrote:
THIS IS HIM IN MY 55 GALLON TANK

Of course, 10" would still be way too large for a Redfinned Shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) and with these better photos it's even clearer now that your fish is not one of those. It does look like a Cyprinid, more related to the Carp though, and many of them grow pretty large.

nas180
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.01(Wed)3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I measered him and he is 12 3/4" long he does look like a redfinned he has the whiskers though there always tucked close to his head idk.
I was j/k about the liar part lol Very Happy idk either way I need to get rid of him! asap!
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.01(Wed)5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two close matches for your fish, both are Carp-related Cyprinids:

http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=27149

http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=4494

Livebearer101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.01(Wed)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

so really I reckon thats only about 10" in comparison to the tank. Therefore thats a very misleading thread title..
Bobz
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.12(Sun)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

that kind of looks like a grass carp to me....thats only a guess though, I'm no way saying I'm right!

Bobz Very Happy
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: