Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 sure ways to ruin your 10G setup!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Doosharm
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.03.20(Mon)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I fully understand your perspective Katie C, the simple fact of the matter is that nobody needs to post asking about any of the points Marcos wrote up because these issues have been addressed many, many times on this site. However, on any given day someone is asking if they can shove an oscar in a 10g "for just a little while" and then the rest of the board needs to tell them that it isn't a good idea. Had they just done a simple search on the internet or even on this forum they would have found their answer.

It's OK to be a beginner and it's OK to make mistakes, but not doing research on your own or taking advice from other, more experienced fishkeepers is just plain stupid and wastes the time and patience of the great community here. If these people just took a little time to help themselves sarcastic posts like this wouldn't be necessary.

And just to be clear, in no way am I accusing you of being one of these folks, just explaining why this is an issue for the folks who have been around these forums for a while. Very Happy

Dave
Katie C
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.21(Tue)7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand.....and like I said earlier I agree with what has been said *to an extent* I, myself, do hours of research everyday and spend a lot of time on this board learning and helping.......I know you weren't referring to me.....But I think it is important for people to ask even if it is "Can I keep an Oscer in a 10 gallon" because it is better to ask than to just do it and if they have already done it and are asking then they can correct their error.....now if they ask for advice and then get mad because they aren't hearing what they want.....or if they are doing what they want and are giving bad advice to new hobbiest....than there is something wrong with that.....that is just my opinion.....and after 4 years of helping people in recovery I tend to be a little more lax up to a certain point Very Happy No offense to you
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.21(Tue)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayJay65 wrote:
I'm sensing.. just a little bit of anger coming from you Marcos.. ran into an experience with this???

I have to say that you are very wrong in saying that. I wouldn't say Markos is angry, just being sarcastic about this issue. For example, I started using/reading aqua-hobby articles/garden/gallery/etc. a year an a half before deciding to be a forum member (13th Feb.2006). No one stayed without an answer on this board as far as I know. Problem starts when the person that gets some very good feedback's/replies, starts opening tons of New posts for a sake of "Having a good chat". I stay participating where I can help, and as well, I step back where a discussion doesn't take a constructive way (abusive posting).
I think Markos that this article of yours should go into the Stickies. It is written in a very funny way Laughing , I like it. Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.01(Sat)20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting "I want" & "I can't" confused

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=29952
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2006.04.23(Sun)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing marcos I was waiting for you to do something like this.I've noticed so many posts about"The petstore guy said I could have them"I was on the verge of doing something like this myself.Good job Laughing .
mitchman1002
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.28(Sun)17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

15(or whatever number we're on)

place tiger barbs with angels because they will *mellow out the angel's agressiveness*
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.05.29(Mon)13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

16. Get a filter rated just for 10 gallons and nothing over, cause that would surely hurt your fish, having more filtration.

17. Adding a dragon eel/dragon goby for only $5.99 at most chain stores. (Note: this is a brackish fish that filter feeds, so it is PERFECT for your freshwater 10!)

18. Add several goldfish, because they are still small and don't live long anyway.

19. Add a male and female betta for breeding.

20. Add an African clawed frog because it's still small.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
mitchman1002
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.29(Mon)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

21. buying fish before researching them. I think thats definitely a common thing that newbie aquarists do. They go to the store looking for some tetras and come back with a bag full of bala sharks.
Goneelsewhere
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.29(Mon)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

22. Buying a Pimpictus Catfish, as it won't get that big, and looks really cool with your Neons. Until you wake up the next day and all the Neons are gone..... and only a fat Pictus remains! Rolling Eyes

23. Buying a Red Tail or Tiger Shovelnose, as you can get it a bigger tank as it grows........ (Methinks not!)
Snarf!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.29(Mon)15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

24. Buying a bunch of "pretty fish" (oh you know, just some cardinal tetras and strawberry tetras and oh that betta looks cool, and wow whats a gourami it looks pretty, you know those discus go with my eyes, oh angelfish are cool too...etc.) for your 2.5 gallon fancy shmancy piece of plastic junk you paid $40 for.

25. "Oh look it's Nemo! He will be friends with my guppies, right mommy?" "Yes dear of course."
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: