Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Has anyone used pond liners in plywood tanks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)19:50    Post subject: Has anyone used pond liners in plywood tanks? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am attempting to now Laughing build a plywood tank and I am considering using a pond liner such as EPDM and I was wondering if anyone else has had some experience, good or bad with this or other forms of pond liners?

Thanks
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. No personal experience here but a Google search resulted in some pretty good links to people who've made plywood tanks:

http://www.google.com/search?q=plywood+tank

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built an outside, plywood above ground pond, using a EPDM liner. But I'm not sure how you could incorporate the open front and glass "window" in a tank design.

Here's my plywood pond...approximately 500 gallons.

blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks guys! I like the pond by the way! Is that "zebra" grass in the water? That looks really nice.

What I was thinking, is to take one large sheet of EPDM and in all 4 corners cut about 80 degree angles so that I get some over lap when I put it in the tank, and form the cube shape of the tank. Then, use EPDM repair tape and some silicone to seal up the corners. As far as getting it to "sit" in the tank properly I am a little unsure as to how well silicone adheres with it. However, I was thinking that I would apply a liberal amount of silicone in the tank (on top of the epoxy coat) and press the liner onto it. For the front where the glass would go, I would just cut and trim the liner to match the front frame of the tank. I drew a diagram on MSPaint, but I don't know how to attach it to this. It shows what I'm thinking

The only reason that I am considering adding this liner is because of the amount of rock that will be going into it. It has sounded like epoy paint can be chipped rather easily and I don't want that chance when stacking rocks up on it.

Steve, do you know if silicone will adhere or bond well with the EPDM and how long is the life of EPDM? I mean how long does it last in water?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to have a scan down through some of the plywood pond liners Herculiner projects here.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=30

Seems pond liners and plywood tanks have been found to have some issues.

Silicone won't adhere to many pond liners fromt he quick search and read through I did...
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjack06 wrote:

What I was thinking, is to take one large sheet of EPDM and in all 4 corners cut about 80 degree angles so that I get some over lap when I put it in the tank, and form the cube shape of the tank. Then, use EPDM repair tape and some silicone to seal up the corners.

Silicon won't work, there is a special sealant used for working with EPDM.

Quote:

The only reason that I am considering adding this liner is because of the amount of rock that will be going into it. It has sounded like epoy paint can be chipped rather easily and I don't want that chance when stacking rocks up on it.

What about fiberglass? It is more durable and almost as watertight, adding a coat of epoxy paint on top of the finished fiberglass would be very durable and water tight.

Quote:

Steve, do you know if silicone will adhere or bond well with the EPDM and how long is the life of EPDM? I mean how long does it last in water?

EPDM is generally has a 20 years guarantee against UV breakdown. I had an inground 1500 gallon EPDM pond liner for 7 years before a Giant Heron went berserk and poked holes in it...that was about 3-4 years ago and I have not doubt the liner would still be good today if not for having Big Bird on crack show up.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that guy had a lot of problems with the herculiner. Someone in that post mentioned the pond liners. They said that the silicone will not stick to some of them but, it will stick to the PVC type. Unfortunately that's all that was said about it.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.28(Sat)13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, although the EPDM sounds like it's great stuff for ponds, I think that it wouldn't be the best choice for the tank anymore. After searching hard to find other posts related to this topic, it seems like the ones who have had the most luck or fortune have been the ones who have used the fiberglass as you mentioned.

Never used it myself and it sounds like it takes some patience, but I have decided on that and the epoxy.

Now, I am going to buy the wood and start working on the tank itself. I've already called around and found a local glass shop that has the 3/8" glass to fit and it'll be around $93.12 That's the cheapest I found so far. Like I said, I'm going to go slow and buy the material as I need it.

Thank you all for the help! Should I post pics as I go along so others can see or would anyone even be interested in seeing something like this? If so, where or what area?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.28(Sat)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would make an excellent article. I'll PM you with some information.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.28(Sat)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjack06 wrote:
Thank you all for the help! Should I post pics as I go along so others can see or would anyone even be interested in seeing something like this? If so, where or what area?

Please do...these types of journals showing the progress of a good project are among the most valuable contributions one can give to other hobbyists. The Photo Album, DIY or Pond forums here on the board would all be appropriate areas, and the "finished" topic may in the future be moved to Best of the Board. You can also opt to write a static article, which can be published in the Articles section of the site (it gets way more exposure over there).

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: