Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Temp Hood with Energy Saver Bulbs..
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
KrayzieVanh
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.24(Tue)18:24    Post subject: DIY Temp Hood with Energy Saver Bulbs.. Reply with quote

OK. I needed a temp solution for my 37 gal tank. I saw that I had 2 regular energy saver bulbs that I bought from Wal-mart, they are 26w (I don't know the Kelvin rating). At first I just used my hood from the 10 gal but it didn't look so pretty as you can see:

With cardboard, masking tape, and allumium foil I came up with this:

This is the underside:

Right behind it is the stock hood that uses the regular tube but is only 20 watts. Also there is a glass covering on top of the tank to protect the bulbs.

The only costly thing was probably the 10 gal hood, but one can subsitute a regualr socket fixture for it.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.29(Sun)6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 100L hood:

My water has a bit of a tint so I use a few "Cool White" and a "Blue" one and it gives a real nice spectrum, and next to natural light it's the cheapest. I use them permanently and it works astonishingly well.
KrayzieVanh
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.29(Sun)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of bulbs are you using? I need to find ones that are rated 6400+ Kelvin. I don't know how much I am running now since I don't have the box. I'll probably add more sockets into the stock hood and add four more lights!
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.30(Mon)7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using two Eurolux 11w cool white and one Eurolux 15w blue (box dose not indicate Kelvin) I think if your looking for 6400+ Kelvin, then cool white is what you would be wanting to buy.

I don't use many bulbs on my tank because it's not so heavily planted and gets quite a bit of natural light to.
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.30(Mon)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrayzieVanh- Is the hood now made of cardboard? Apologies if I'm wrong but I can see the cardboard bending as soon as the humidity from the water gets bad. Other than that, it might not look the part but at least it works!
KrayzieVanh
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.30(Mon)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

uLtRa wrote:
KrayzieVanh- Is the hood now made of cardboard? Apologies if I'm wrong but I can see the cardboard bending as soon as the humidity from the water gets bad. Other than that, it might not look the part but at least it works!

The humidity can't do much because I have a covering that is on top of the aquarium. Again, this is a temp solution. For the first few days I was more worried about the cardboard getting too hot and catching on fire, which it didn't.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.31(Tue)6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it's only temp because, no offence, that realy dose not look the part.

What do you plan on doing/constructing for long term use?
KrayzieVanh
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.31(Tue)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscer wrote:
I'm glad it's only temp because, no offence, that realy dose not look the part.

What do you plan on doing/constructing for long term use?

Yea, it looks pretty beat up!

For the lights I'll probably purcahse a kit from ahsupply and convert my old hood. I still not know. 55W will only get me about 1.4 WPG. If these CF bulb works (it's working great, no more brown leaves and I see growth) I'll probbaly stick to it but create a wooden hood and add 2 more bulbs. I'll makes sure its rated at 6400 kelvin or above this time.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.01(Wed)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the nice thing with these bulbs are, that you can put as many in as you like and not have to worry about space plus wiring has never been easer.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: