Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can you freeze excess food? Flake or Granules....
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MGoo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.22(Sun)8:26    Post subject: Can you freeze excess food? Flake or Granules.... Reply with quote

I recently bought a large 300g can of Tetra ColorBits granules. I have heard that fish food loses it's nutitional value a few months after opening. There is no way that I will use all the ColorBits in that time so I was wondering if anyone has ever tried freezing excess food and defrosting it later....

Idea
MGoo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it doesn't seem like anyone has tried this. I'll try it out by putting some in a ziplock bag and report the results here.
WilbyZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.24(Tue)3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

300g Tetra Colour bits for AUS$19.90? Smile

I've never tried freezing fish food, I reckon the condensation will foul the food.

I normally fill a smaller Used container (say 62g), then I would double layer Glade wrap the top of the 300g Can and twist the lid on top of the glade wrap.

For me, 300g used in about 6 months.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest keeping a small container that you refill monthly. Then keep the lager container well sealed. It's all about air exposure, more than temperature with dry goods. I've never heard of of fish food losing it's value. Not to say it doesn't happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
MGoo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

WilbyZ wrote:
300g Tetra Colour bits for AUS$19.90? Smile

I've never tried freezing fish food, I reckon the condensation will foul the food.

Laughing

indeed it was 300g Tetra Color Bits for AUS$19.90 - we must shop at the same online store!

I have frozen some of the Color Bits in a air tight zip lock bag and there doesn't appear to be a problem with condensation. The bits also do not clump together when frozen as I thought they might - they still can move about freely within the bag when I take them out the freezer. Whether there is any advantage to keeping the zip-locked bag in the freezer I cannot say of course, but I think I will go with the freezing as it doesn't appear to be harming the bits.

Smile
WilbyZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.29(Sun)20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGoo wrote:
indeed it was 300g Tetra Color Bits for AUS$19.90 - we must shop at the same online store!

The Age of Aquariums in Brisbane? Smile

Ben is a pretty cool fellow.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/
MGoo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.30(Mon)6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

WilbyZ wrote:

The Age of Aquariums in Brisbane? Smile

Ben is a pretty cool fellow.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/

That's the one. They do great monthly specials.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: