Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Build Your Own Stand and Canopy Plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dancingdixiegurl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.21(Sat)9:11    Post subject: Build Your Own Stand and Canopy Plans Reply with quote

Has anybody built a stand/canopy for a 90g? If you have, could you help me with the plans?
Ryank327
Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curently building a canopy for my 75g and have already built a stand. All I can say is draw everything it out, if you have access to a cad program use it. Design it to the point to where you are pretty sure it can hold the tanks weight, then double the supports. Make sure everything is level. You want a large footprint for your stand to spread the wait out so don't give it legs. Make sure you place all the weight on the wood and not the screws. If you need some plans check out GARF, just google search for "Garf Aquarium stand" and it should pop up.

tanks all FW

1g, 5g, 2 10gallons, 20g long, 30g tall, 75g
dancingdixiegurl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought plans today, so hopefully I can help my dad build me some stands. Very Happy
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.26(Thu)23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dancingdixiegurl,

I built both of my canopies for my two 55 gal. tanks. It was pretty easy and fun and one thing that I did, was to paint the insides white instead of using aluminum or tin foil or even spending more money on reflectors.

Now, I'm just throwing this out there... how you use it is up to you:

The Law of Conservation of Energy

Think of two cars in the sun; one white and one black. Have you ever touched or leaned on one and you noticed rather quickly how hot the darker or black one was? Yeah, I still burn myself without thinking!

Let's establish that light is, for simplicity of this- energy, and when light is absorbed by dark colors, the energy carried by the light doesn't just disappear, it actually raises the energy of what is absorbing it. The object in turn then, releases this built up energy in the form of a longer and lower energy wavelength known as infared heat. This is not a disirable feature for most people when building a canopy on top of an aqurium which, is going to also possibly limit the amount of oxygen flowing in and out of it. This is why some people install fans in their canopy. Plus there's this whole biological thing and I'm already going deeper than I wanted too!

Objects are colored because it absorbes all the other colors except the ones we see, which are reflected back to our eyes. Black does not reflect light. For example, think of a hole. All of the light going in bounces around inside and none is reflected out. That's why it appears black. White is basically reflecting more light by not absorbing all of those wavelengths. By painting the inside white it can also help the lamps to "brighten" up your tank.

Just some food for thought and I probably butchered this by trying to be as brief as I could! Light is an amazing and interesting phenomenon.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

white paint is not a good reflector. I have read this a thousand times as well but it made little sense to me so I checked... it is better than nothing and better than a mirror but is pathetic in comparison to polished aluminum that it is like comparing walking to a sports car...

10 bucks on a 4ft light fixture from a recycling place and you'll have a re-usable reflector.

If you want to go all out, I picked up annolux polished aluminum sheets 2 by 4ft for 50$ Canadian. This stuff is hard to look at with just the light from the ceiling Laughing
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6 wrote:
white paint is not a good reflector...but is pathetic in comparison to polished aluminum

Is that meant as a statement or a quote that you have read Question

A couple of points here:

I was not making a direct statement of comparison that using white paint per se, is better than a reflector. Now, I did make a statement that white is better than black. That is a fact that holds true.

Most retro fit lighting come with a reflector(s). I would imagine that dancingdixiegurl has some sort of lighting already in mind or on hand since the tank is 90 gal. and she wants to make a DIY canopy. Unless you are going "all out" with an aquarium canopy, why line the entire inside of it with aluminum, in addition to the reflector that comes with the lights? You can use the lights you have, their reflector, and paint the entire inside white for an amount substantually well under $50.

Aluminum foil also reflects almost 98% radiant energy. Which is why it is so oftenly used in insulation applications. Such as pakaging like a box which, is what a canopy basically is. I'm not trying to push this concept onto dancingdixiegurl, just an idea of what he/she could do to cut some costs.

Besides, I like walking... it is cheaper than driving and it helps keep me in shape! Very Happy
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of DIY, I don't think a retro fit kit was bought. I think of a person building a canopy with lighting. I feel that white paint really serves no useful purpose in a canopy.

White paint is a horrid reflector. I actually checked with a spherical probe on a lux meter.

I would never recommend white paint to save money as you immediatly require more wattage to compensate for all the light you lose...
the inside of potato chip bags is mylar, you get to eat the chips and is much more effecient than white paint.

Tin foil was a much better reflector than white paint in most cases, save some white paints that had some additional things added, e.g. barium sulfate.

If the white paint is for other issues, I still suggest there are better things to use for things like heat issues, etc...
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ceratinly agree that mylar would be the far better choice. However, I respectfully disagree that white paint would serve no purpose at all. You are right that it's not the best thing to use. However, would you agree that it's better than leaving the inside a dark color or doing nothing at all?

"The atoms in reflective materials, such as metals, re- radiate light that cancels out the original wave. Only the light re- radiated back out of the material is observed. All materials exhibit some degree of absorption, refraction, and reflection of light."
-Dr. Martin Mayer
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug99/934381368.pH.r.html

This would also suggest that depending on the type of white paint used, it may absorb more or less of the light directed on it.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjack06 wrote:
This would also suggest that depending on the type of white paint used, it may absorb more or less of the light directed on it.
That is definately the case as I mentioned with Barium Sulfate.
Some magnesium in the paint can make it a better reflector as well I have heard.
However, paints with these ingredients tend to cost a fair bit, far more than the 10$ I spend at the recylcing centre and far far more than potato chips at 99 cents. You can buy that paint... its often used for very large DIY projector screens... not cheap. I bought one small can for a friend's screen.

If you want to be precise, even normal white paint would be better than plain wood or black I admit ... marginally IME.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

White paint is good...usually for a short period of time, as soon as the paint begins to dull and yellow it's effectiveness drops. Aluminum foil is horrible and not worth the trouble for the gain. I use mirror finish mylar, but I take great pains to glue is down very flat and smooth...the before and after difference is quite dramatic, but still a well tuned parabolic polished reflector makes an enormous difference and in most cases where one wants the most bang for their buck its the best choice. AHSupply's reflectors are awesome and well worth the money if your looking for lots of intensity.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: