Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sponge Filter
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Neon06
Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.18(Wed)17:52    Post subject: Sponge Filter Reply with quote

I'm making my own sponge filter and the only type of sponge I can find is an open celled sponge from that is suppose to be used for cars. Would It be a bad idea to use this type of sponge?
Neon06
Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.18(Wed)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out the sponge I was thinking of getting had chemcials so forget I ask the question.
melissaann
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you make your own sponge filter? I was thinking of doing this myself. I have a pump and tubing, how does the rest work? What else do you need besides the sponge itself?
Neon06
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the directions at this site. http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-It-Yourself/sponge_filter.php
Since you have a pump, tubing, and sponge all you'll need to buy is the following:
1- Airstone
1/2 or 3/4 PVC pipe
2- 1/2 or 3/4 90's depending on what size PVC pipe you get
1 - 1/2 or 3/4 PVC end cap
Some marbles to hold the sponge down, if you decide not to attach it to the glass.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you find it difficult cutting the hole in the sponge for the uplift tube, try getting the sponge wet, freezing it, and then drilling the hole. And don't do what I did on my first one: I wasn't paying attention and drilled all the way through it!

One last thing, I found that the sponge from an AquaClear 500/110 makes a good sponge filter. They're also relatively cheap and can be found in most LFS.
toffee
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bigger scale, I use something like this http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/articles_details.php?article_id=88&category=15&name=Filtration

for my big tank and pond.

This is a link to diy sponge filter http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_spongefilter.php

Hope it helps.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: