Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cichlids in a pond?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)18:27    Post subject: cichlids in a pond? Reply with quote

I have been toying with this idea for a long time so I figured I might as well post it.

What types of cichlids are able to tolerate cool water(say, 60 degrees plus). Texas cichlid seems like an obvious choice on that one.

The idea would be to put a few fish outside in spring...observe parental behavior during the summer, and in fall bring in the fish I could to sell/give away and keep a few juveniles inside over the winter. 40 degree temperatures I'm assuming would wipe out any missed and keep them from being permanently established in the pond.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
rocketsfan01n11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.15(Sun)11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a hotel in Iowa and they had a large shallow pond. Like 1 1/2 feet deep at the most and it was around 10 feet long and 8 feet wide. Don't know how many gallons that is, but they had a huge carp, 8-10 big fancy gold fish, and bunch of little goldies and, a texas cichlid. Now this was inside but none of the goldfish were ripped up so they got along OK. But this is different than outside.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.16(Mon)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realy like the idea (mostly because it works out cheaper than if I had a tank of the same size), but IMO it's only rewarding if you wish to breed or grow your fish.

I don't think cichlids look to good if you viewing them from the top, now I've seen some people putting windows in, but it's not a patch, on a tank.
toffee
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.23(Thu)0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of doing the same too, for a really stupid reason. My cichlids are too active and never allow the java moss to get established. I am thinking of letting the cichlids spend the summer in the backyard pond. During their 'vacation' I hope to get a carpet of java moss established. The dithers will stay in the tank.

My worries:

1. would the night temp (40 deg?) lower the water temp too much for the cichlids?
2. when they 'return' from their vacation, will they still be friendly to the dithers? Currently, I have life bearers and tetras with the big cichlids for the past 2 years and they seens to ignore each other. I kinda like that.
3. these are tank fishes, really friendly creatures that eats off my hands and greets visitors by swimming to the front of the tank and wriggle. Can they survive outdoor predators?

Thanks for helping.
MrTwister
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.23(Thu)13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do put them out side make sure birds can't get at them. My pond gold fish were raided constantly by crows and sea gulls.
toffee
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.23(Thu)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTwister wrote:
If you do put them out side make sure birds can't get at them. My pond gold fish were raided constantly by crows and sea gulls.

That is one of my worries.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.24(Fri)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends constructed a grid using fine fish line over his koi pond. It works well and you can hardly see it, and it's quite funny when birds dive into it.
toffee
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.24(Fri)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a good idea
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.25(Sat)4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would the night temp (40 deg?) lower the water temp too much for the cichlids?

4.4˚C is realy low, how big is the pond? Maybe you can add a heater.

Quote:
When they 'return' from their vacation, will they still be friendly to the dithers? Currently, I have life bearers and tetras with the big cichlids for the past 2 years and they seem to ignore each other.

Could they currently eat the dithers (size wise)?

Quote:
Can they survive outdoor predators?

They need some type of protection. In time they should relies that they are in danger and that they should stay on the bottom (in theory), but by that time you've lost a few already.
toffee
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.25(Sat)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscer wrote:
4.4˚C is realy low, how big is the pond? Maybe you can add a heater.

The pond is about 2000g, 4 ft deep. Adding a heater would be too costly to run.

Oscer wrote:
Could they currently eat the dithers (size wise)?

Yes, they could if they want to. But so far they ignore or 'befriend' the dithers. I did tried to add a few more female swordtails, they ate the new comers within 30 minutes. But left the existing ones untouched, as if they knew each other.[/quote]
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: