Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
has anyone every made there own sponge filter for fry?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.13(Fri)21:11    Post subject: has anyone every made there own sponge filter for fry? Reply with quote

I have a whole tank of Betta fry and m needing a sponge filter has anyone every done this and if so please tell. I'm needing one like tonight. if at all possable.
jonah
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made several, but if you just need one, you'd be better off just buying one at the store. Buying the different materials to put it together isn't worth the hassle for just one filter.

Here's a link to a DIY sponge filter:

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-It-Yourself/sponge_filter.php
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats easyer said then done when you live in the city. but when your 65miles from the nearest city with a big pet store. It's not that easy. So you have to do what you can to make it work. Til you can get to the store.
jonah
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would suggest doing a lot of water changes for now. Do you have access to the pvc, sponge, air tubes and silicone?

I've also used those simple box filters for fry before. I've got a tank full of buffalohead fry right now with a air driven box filter in it.

Your location says Amarillo. That was a pretty big city last time I visited.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea Amarillo a good size town. I live 65mile to the north west off the candian river. I live on the LX ranch. do you now where boys ranch is. west of town. I live 19miles north of there. I use my moms address for shipping and reciving as the post man in this area want deliver packges but to a street address not a p.o. number.
It makes things a lot easyer.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, I for got I used some plains I found to make a temp. [img]filter that will work til I can get into town monday morning.

It's not much to look at but it's working til I can get to town.
jonah
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canadian river runs by here too. Small world. I think we drove through that area when I went to Colorado a couple of years ago.

It doesn't matter if it looks good as long as it works. Cool
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my family lives in Oklahoma { spellings not right I know } Anadarko and cickasa. I go there every other week to visit them. I go to lake Altas every month in the summer time for some of the best bass fishing the state has.
Gaza
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.29(Sun)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonah those are great plans also leslie ferguson can you tell us how to make your filter and how it works
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.30(Mon)5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's realy a simple plan. All I did was take the spoange peice out of one of my older HOB filters for a 10gal tank. I then took the down tube from a old under gravel filter And cut it into two pices using a hake saw.
I then took a air stone with the air line attached and run it throw the longer peice of the tube I cut into two. I then took the shorter peice and stuffed some starfoam in the bottom of it to block it off.
I then took the air stone and rapped the sponge around it and took two rubber bands and held it into place. Then simple turned it on. I have updated it alittle now. I'm using a 3'' inches roller sponge used in cafts and can get at any wal-mart store in the arts and crafts area. I payed .99 cents for the brush and roller sponge.
It's working great as the Betta fry is now 21 days old. I have scents made another one the same way for a fry of Apisto Cockato Orange Flash. You can get the sponge roller in a number of sizes from 1" to 6" .
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: