Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Putting two tanks together?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, the pond liner stuff still interests me. I'm thinking of using some of those preformed plastic ones you get to make waterfalls, cut them to size and fit them together to make a background aquascape.
I honestly don't know how they would turn out, I've never even owned a pond with one in it so I've no experience.
I was considering it as a cheap alternative to making your own aquascap with stones or styrofoam.
As far as water getting behind it, well I thought maybe you could utilise the space behind it as a filter? Fill it with the sponges you get in filters and fit an in and out flow pipe? No idea! Or you could just fill the space with resin or something, then bond the liner on top.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, we've really gotten off topic with this one huh? Do people get upset when this happens? I'm relatively new here so I don't know.

Anyways, Lord Steve0, I was at the hardware store last night and saw some of those formations and remembered your idea. It does look quite interesting. Perhaps if you drilled some holes near the bottom of the fixture after it was placed in the tank and sealed. Then, you could cut a section out of the top so that the intake tube from your filter could fit down in it, it might still work(?).

Here's a link to another kind of background I saw that might interest you:
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/panis/pu_background.html
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the link blackjack.
That look quite interesting. Do you think you could do that with an all glass tank? If you just moulded it to the back and sides but with space for pump, filter, heater etc.
That sounds quite tempting to me, as I'm sure getting the components is fairly easy if you know where to look. It also looks easir to work with than just cutting up foam sheets.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have never tried it, I would imagine that it would. If you layed the tank on its back, poured it in, it should form to the contours of the tank and probably hold. Worst case if it doesn't, drain the tank, dry the background and add some silicone! If think that if it isn't going to hold you will find out before you even fill it with any water. Give it a shot!
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.28(Sat)10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackjack06, I think you understood me wrong, I was doing a controlled test, not testing on the actual tank, so my joints are fine, trust me Very Happy

So once again the silicon did not adhere to the Laycryl but the acrylic sealer (using in the place of silicon) adhered extremely well to the laycryl, but not so well to the glass (plus it should not be exposed to water for long periods of time). Now laycryl adheres well to glass.

So I painted a border of laycryl on the glass where the acrylic is to go, so I'm sandwiching the acrylic between two layers of laycryl, one on the wood and one on the glass, then I'll paint over that (with laycryl) to stop water from getting to the acrylic.

Make sense Question
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.28(Sat)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I misunderstood that. That makes more since now. I thought that you were using it on a larger scale! Laughing
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.28(Sat)14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you understand. Smile

Using it on a large sound plausible to me, but length be will be a real determining factor. The way I found it to be is that, the bigger you go the more support you'll need, but if you keep it more tube like, like the one I have constructed, then less support is needed.

But all in all I sick to ply wood for big tanks and small ones at that.

Here
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.28(Sat)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I definitely see what you mean now. The photo helps too! That is pretty keen Very Happy
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.29(Sun)3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting the last layer of Laycryl on now and tomorrow, hopefully, I'll have a new tank Very Happy
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.30(Mon)8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just filled it with fresh water for now, no visible leakage, so I think it will work. I
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: