Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Putting two tanks together?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I found that site with the 1700 gallon plywood shark tank! Yeah, holly cow! This is something else!

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_1700g_tank_1.php
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a tank Very Happy

When I said I'm constructing a small tank I meant small; very small compared to the tanks normally constructed from wood.

My tanks measurements are: L 320mm x W 240mm x H 455mm.

It's special, due to the fact that it is made of tongue and grove Pine planks, glued together to form sides and back, and I used smaller bits at the front to secure the glass.

My idea was to construct it from things I had and not to buy any thing.

To seal it I have decided to use a Super Laycryl Waterproofer, according to safety sheet it should not be harmful to fish, but I'll test it with something else before I add fish or, if I go SW, inverts. As I write I'm testing if silicon adheres well to the laycryl.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Let me know how it turns out. I had never heard of Super Laycryl so, I looked it up and also found a similar product called Duraflex. They both say that they can be used in pond and water tank applications. Where were you able to purchase it from? I have also been trying to find information on using pond liners inside the tank to help seal it.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased it at a home improvement/hardware store. It's normally recommended for ponds (as you said) and for the sealing of roofs. They normally go under the name of bituminous paint.

But be careful, I bought one type to seal one of my ponds, on the can it said rubber base and oil based when I opened it, it was black oil and a blob of rubber in the middle. The one I'll be using for this tank is water based, but still quite think and unpleasant to work with.

I not sure if it lasts as long as epoxy, but it's much cheaper and already black, normally and it doesn
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPDM is one type that I've come across the most (used in ponds) and all of the ads talk about how great the flexability is when conforming to the rocks and ground in the ponds. I think I might post a question to see if anyone else has used something like that in a tank. I think that the other consideration would be how well silicone would adhere to it when installing the front glass(?).
Docholliday
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

often with large tanks it can be hard to level them perfectly, so I would suggest using some kind of strong styrofoam so that all weight is evenly distributed. Just wanted to say that as kind of a side note for your new tank. Cool
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest has anyone ever tried to use those pre-formed pond liners you get, the one for waterfalls etc, to create a background for a tank?
I'm working out how I'll be aquascaping my tank when I buy it later this year and I'm looking at all possibilities here.
Messing about with styrofoam and resin would be good fun but I reckon I'll just balls it up and make a mess!
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.25(Wed)19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks Oscer. It's a great aircraft.

You know Lord Steve0, I bet you could make that work with some silicone. I never really thought about something like that. However, I can see two possible problems in doing so:

1) If you didn't seal entirely around it and water was able to get behind it, I wonder if it would get... too stagnant without circulation and,
2) If you were able to seal around it, I wonder how well or long it would hold? Sort of like trying to hold a balloon underwater?

Something that I just thought of... there is liquid cement used to fill in cracks and so forth. If you could carve the shape you wanted in the styrofoam then try to spread the cement over the shape, I wonder how that would turn out? Once again, I've never done this and I'm not sure if the cement would leach anything into the water after it has cured. Maybe something to look into.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.26(Thu)7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, test failed badly, an oily substance started to form under the silicon, and was totally detached.

Now, I think, I might have not given the Super Laycryl the required time to cure; it was touch dry, but probably not ready for silicon application.

So I'm doing another test using silicon and acrylic sealant, to see it might perform better than the silicon (which I think it will).
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.26(Thu)22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't hold. I have an idea that might help hold the joints. Instead of tongue and groove what about dove tail joints? Also, you said that the Lycryl was touch dry and still the silicone didn't hold. I honestly don't know that much about it but it may be possible that the silicone doesn't adhere well with it. Again, I've never tried something like this either!!! It's a tough learning curve, huh?

Wow, I'm surprised that no one has responded to my post asking about info with pond liners!

So, on this next one are you replacing the Lycryl with the acrylic? Let me know how it goes.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: