Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Putting two tanks together?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.17(Tue)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think that I am going to try it anymore and you are both right, I don't think I want to "chance" something like that. A tank as large as what I want would certainly be the show piece of the room and I want it took look exceptional.

With the 55gal's that I have now, I have tried to duplicate Lake Malawi's biotope as much as possible within limits, and even now, I get nervous sometimes with the amount of rock that I have in there.

I've also been looking around hoping to maybe come across a large tank at a yard sale but, no luck. However, I did find a company about 4 hours away that custom makes acrylic tanks and I think that I'm going to buy a 240 gallon tank they have for sale. This way I feel confident in the equipment and I don't need to get flood insurance!

Thank you both for the help and I'm sure that I'll see you around forum's!
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.19(Thu)11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pleasure, and I hope every thing works out well Very Happy

Oh, and trust me, flood insurance is always a good thing to have Laughing
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've been looking into plywood tanks now as well and I think that's what I am going to try. There's tons of good info out there and I just like the fact that I can do it. However, I think that I'll still go with the flood insurance as a back-up!
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a plywood tank. Does it just have glass on one side or something? I assume it's pretty strong and if it's watertight it could be interesting to play with. You wouldn't need to worry about stones or rocks cracking the glass I suppose.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it only as one glass panel in the front. I'm currently constructing a small one using a new method of construction.
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds quite interesting.

I'm currently planning the setting up of a big tank with a back wall made of rocks, but I'm affraid I'll crack the tank with them. I guess wood takes away any worry of this.
What do you have to do to the wood to seal the tank? I might consider this as an alternative.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Oscer,

What's the new construction method that you are trying and is it much different from these posted below? I was going to pretty much follow the method's from two sites I found:

http://www.garf.org/
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/panis/plywoodtank.htm

Lord Steveo,

Google around a bit and you can find some nice pics of DIY plywood aquariums. And you're right, it's essentially a box with one side having a pane of glass to see into it. They can be quite nice and large for a fraction of the price... I think(?)!
Ryank327
Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once looked into this. From all the people I talked to that did it before, they all said there tank started to leak within 6 months to a year. And also its really not worth doing unless you build a huge tank. I am still interested in pursuing a Plywood tank btu when I do I'm going to make it at least 400 gallons. It takes tons of work and money. I found a good site wher a guy built a HUGE shark tank, Ill try to find it for you.

tanks all FW

1g, 5g, 2 10gallons, 20g long, 30g tall, 75g
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the deminsions that I want it comes out to be 359 gallons and that is plenty big for me right now! From the research that I've done so far, it looks like the most expensive part is the epoxy paint (USDA and FDA certified and approved). For me it's started to make sense that a plywood tank would be a perfect solution. I do agree that it will be a bit of work, but that's also a bit more pride in what you have, right? As far as price what's a lot? And I DO NOT mean any of this sarcastically, but for example, there's even a 270 gal tank online I was looking at that was $850.00 plus another $295.00 for shipping and handling! Sure, you can see all the way around it, but if I am aquascaping with rock formation all the way around the sides and back, I don't see a reason for looking at the back of the rocks.

I don't know why it would start to leak around 6 months unless they 1) didn't secure it that well with adequate screws and spacing and 2) it wasn't sealed that well. I believe that there are also urethanes and laminates that do not bond well with silicone. If the exterior grade plywood was possibly treated with this type, I could understand why the bonds weakened.

Here's a link of a guy who built a ~581 gallon tank: http://home.online.no/~joobjoer/eng_diy/2200litre/2200litres.html

I would like to hear from other people as to how they went about it and what was good and well, not so good technics. I am anxious to hear what Oscer is trying and how it turns out. Which by the way Oscer, what type and thickness of glass have you used?
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.24(Tue)8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look very good. Definately the way to go for huge tanks (1000L+) as the savings must be big.
Also I guess if you are aquascaping the sides and back then you don't need to be able to see in from all sides.
I'm not sure it's a good method for smaller tanks though, due to costs. But maybe if you build a small one first you can get the hang of the methods and then move on to bigger things.
I'd like to see some end products for people who've made these tanks. Certainly a cool way to make a tank!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: